Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22.250 oal

22.250 oal

I've just started trying to reload for my recently rebarreled 22.250 it's got a new 1in8 twist boarder barrel,
    ive got some 80grn hornday v max this evening I thought I'd have a go at seating one in an empty case I tried several times each time pushing the bullet further into the neck and trying it in my rifel I could not get the bolt to close until I pushed it so far it went inside the case??
    factory 55grn ammo loads fine. Am I doing something wrong ??
    ive had this rifel built especially to shoot heaver grn bullets?
    Any help on this is much appreciated as I'm new to reloading.
    cherrs.

Have you full length resized the cases before starting?. Sounds very odd otherwise.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Hi no not full length just neck resized and trimmed?

Sounds like the neck region is stopping it closing. Try colouring over the neck and bullet with a black " mighty marker" pen then trying to close the bolt with bullet in the chamber. Area giving problem should have pen ink rubbed off. If it's brass from before the rebarrel then quite likely the brass needs to be full length sized first.

Thanks guys I'll give that a Try and let you no.
    cheers.

Have you tried just a case on its own?

Do you have a book on reloading available to you?? ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Munkjack View Post
    I've just started trying to reload for my recently rebarreled 22.250 it's got a new 1in8 twist boarder barrel,
    ive got some 80grn hornday v max this evening I thought I'd have a go at seating one in an empty case I tried several times each time pushing the bullet further into the neck and trying it in my rifel I could not get the bolt to close until I pushed it so far it went inside the case??
    factory 55grn ammo loads fine. Am I doing something wrong ??
    ive had this rifel built especially to shoot heaver grn bullets?
    Any help on this is much appreciated as I'm new to reloading.
    cherrs.
    The cases were originally fired in your rifle? If not, then FL and probably a trim would be wise.
    I assume that the rifle runs on factory OK?
    I use everything from 40-80 in mine (1:7" Lothar-Walther) and they fit fine.

As Barkingsnake has already said I am guessing that the case used was not fired in this new chamber prior to neck sizing? F/L size and all should be good. You will get a far more accurate measurement using an OAL gauge and modified case (preferably one formed from a case fired in this chamber), your method is a little agricultural although with time and patience you can get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RPA 6MM BR View Post
    ...method is a little agricultural although with time and patience you can get away with it.
    Thanks...it's not far off what I do!