Emailing police Scotland

Beretta shooter

Morning chaps, is it acceptable to email police Scotland with a PDF file attached to inform them about purchasing and adding a shotgun/s to your SGC?

Or should I just print off the form (basc one) and send it in recorded mail?

Cheers BS

Why not just email them the basic details rather than trying to attach forms.
That is your details, the details of who transferred the gun to you, the date it was transferred, whether sold loaned or gifted and the details of the gun (Make, calibre, type).

Don't forget to ask for an acknowledgement or receipt of being read.

Here's the response from them for a shotgun purchase a couple of weeks ago which was notified to them by e-mail.

FirearmsLicensingEdinburgh@scotland.pnn.police.uk

Thank you for your email, which has been received into the Edinburgh Firearms and Explosives Licensing Inbox. Please do not respond to this, as is an "Automatic Response".

The office hours are: -
Monday to Thursday 0900-1530hrs
Friday 0900-1500hrs

All emails are monitored during the above-mentioned hours.
If you are notifying us of the acquisition or disposal of a weapon-please accept this as acknowledgement of receipt. There is no requirement to send a further copy by post.
If your query is regarding a change of address please be advised we require the following information in writing (email is suitable):
·Full Name and certificate details
· New Address (please advise if security will be moving to this address)
· Old Address
· Date of move

IF YOU ARE ENQUIRING ABOUT THE PROGRESS OF AN APPLICATION PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT DUE TO A RESTRUCTURE WITHIN POLICE SCOTLAND THE TIME TAKEN TO PROCESS APPLICATIONS IS TAKING LONGER THAN NORMAL. WE APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE AT THIS TIME AND ENDEAVOUR TO PROCESS ALL APPLICATIONS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
If you require an application form or other related information, please visit the Police Scotland website. www.scotland.police.uk/about-us/finance/service-fees-and-charges/firearms/

I just use the email system now for all purchases/sales of shotguns and firearms. I simply scan the relevant form as a PDF and email it to them. I printout their (automatic) reply and staple it to the original form and keep hard copies of the forms.

I once got bollocked by Lancs for not sending the relevant transfer info (which I'd done via the post), so now it's all electronic.

hh

That's great guys, thanks for the speedy response. When looking online last night I found loads of forms for police forces down south but typically nothing for police Scotland so was just wondering if they were happy to receive emails for transfers.
I'll be sure to ask for a conformation email that everything was recived and on record.

Thanks again chaps.

I used to take stuff in by hand or registered post, but they would not sign for it so I became paranoid about it...I am very glad now to be able to do as 8X57 and list it all in an email and have an instant acknowledgment of receipt. The last one I did like that. The ones prior I did scan in and send a .pdf...but the plain email is simpler as far as paper/digital trail goes.

I will go back through my emails and print off copies of the emails and acknowledgements as per Haggis Hunter's system in order to have a hard copy available prior to the next FAO visit. Another good idea.

Alan

Last edited:
Print if off, complete it, scan it in and save as pdf, send of paper copy and email scanned copy.
That way you have electronic copy for your records to show exactly the wording you sent plus you get an email back confirming receipt.
The police in turn get the original plus the email - should either go astray.

Unfortunately I've heard of a couple of stories where the Glasgow lot seemed to have misplaced things; so I now always email and post notifications.

Like other, I just email them the details rather than attach a PDF. If you set your email to produce a delivery receipt and read receipt you have all the proof you need if the Police ever claim you didn't notify them.

I had this last year when they came to inspect and accused me of not notifying them of the sale of a shotgun they expected to be in my cabinet. I produce the original email and the read receipt email and they accepted (that there had been a problem in the office " - no apology thought!

Thanks again guys some really good points made there, I think I will just write all the info in an email other than attaching a pdf type attatchment that way it's clear cut what I'm doing also I'll set me email up go give me a recipt on delivery and reading. I just bought another shotgun today so will do both in the same email.
(Note to self, I must leave my SGC at home when I go to game fairs and gun shops) :oops:

Cheers guys.

Obviously been to Scone!
How was the Fair this year any good?
Due to the wife's studies couldn't get along this year but she's agreed it's a must for next.

Haha yep was at scone on Saturday, fair wasn't bad, hadn't been for many years due to holidays etc but certainly not as busy as I expected but a few good deals to be had. Weather was better as expected so all in all a good day (rather expensive tho) :lol:

Ok guys that's my email sent, thanks again for the advice.
Also asked for an update on my FAC application as still no word on it and SGC is out in a matter of weeks.
Didnt get an automated email back as I though I would but if I don't hear anything back in a couple days I'll give them a call to make sure they got the email.

I always do this with Hampshire - Its far easier than sending forms registered post and removes the risk of someone seeing an envelope addressed to "Firearms Licensing" and deciding to have a look inside.

Most forces do a bounce-back email like the one McKenzie showed, but if you dont get one then I'd just give them a call a day or so later and make sure they have definitely received it.

Gloucester do an automated bounce back...

Thank you for your E mail, it will be dealt with as soon as possible. If your message concerns the transfer of a weapon please accept this E mail as an acknowledgement of our receipt of your Email to us. If you require immediate information or assistance, our contact telephone number is 01452 754516

Kind Regards,

Gloucestershire Constabulary Firearms Licensing

I would be inclined to send the same email again and underline that you would like an acknowledgement by email, a voice on the end of the phone saying "Thank you we have received it" is not hard evidence or much good by way of digital/paper trail. If you prefer to phone them, ask them to acknowledge by email and explain why.

Alan

I got a email back first thing Monday morning thanking me and answering a query I had about my renewal/application so I'm taking that as a recipt. Strange that it wasn't automated tho.
Thanks again guys for keeping me right with everything.

yes infact they prefer it according to the laady i spoke to if your letter goes missing in the post there is always a time stamp on an email so you can confirm you notified them in time
Morning chaps, is it acceptable to email police Scotland with a PDF file attached to inform them about purchasing and adding a shotgun/s to your SGC?

Or should I just print off the form (basc one) and send it in recorded mail?

Cheers BS

Back