Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What shall i do with it

What shall i do with it

Hi Guys, earlier this year i bought a .275 alex henry built on a 1915 mauser (gewerh) 98 action with the flag safety. i didn't pay a lot for it an i know i could easily get my money back but i have always lusted after a proper 98 action mauser.

the thing is its a bit knocked about, nothing serious at all, the stock is exactly as it should be but dinged and scratched and too short for me, the blueing not bad but a bit thin in places and the trigger is pretty awful.

its such an iconic bit of kit i really want to make it usable, but I'm just not sure which way to go with it. it shoots quite well (1/12 inch group) for its age and the barrel throat crown and rifling is all in very good condition it even has proper english folding leaf sights. for sure its got the potential to make a beautiful custom rifle with some nice walnut but I've just bought a house and I can't really stretch to having this done at the moment.

so if it was yours, what would you do with it?

Keep it, stalk with it, enjoy it!! Spend some time working up a more accurate load. Do a bit here and there, as you go! But most of all enjoy it!!!
    I have a dwm actioned English sporter in 8x57, not tapped and shoots high until I get it sorted. But I love and it will be one of the last to go along with my old sporterised Lithgow. You can feel the soul and history ooze out of these old things - if only they could talk!
    Karamoja

i can see your a man of my own sentiments, you know if i was honest id be just as happy to keep it and hold it !

SD Regular
    The trigger is probably the easiest (and the riskiest if you do it wrong) to sort. You could even get a secondhand Parker Hale trigger from the likes of Gunshop Barnet, remove the side safety from the trigger, and just drop it in. The length of the stock either a rubber Silvers type pad...cost about 100 to do it properly all in...or a slip on recoil pad. The stock if given some TLC will probably come out just about all right.

Keep it, do the minimum to retain its provenance/history and please the eye - then use it and enjoy.

Keep it. Enjoy it. Do work on it when you can. Shoot it as often as you can.

The stock can be refreshed and the dents steamed out. The trigger might just need a flush out as they do collect dust and debris over a long time. If it needs smoothing and lightening the std Mauser 98 trigger is not too hard to work on but of course you have to understand how it should work. If you want to think of in simple terms your giving it a service and clean .

Get it out that stock.
    The action will need completely blueprinted and the chamber recut into .275 Ackley.
    What ever made you think 1.5 MOA is accurate enough man? Get reloading and don't stop until you are into three decimal places.
    Cut 8" off the barrel, thread it then ceracoate it in 'desert storm'. Drop it into a synthetic folding tactical stock in co-ordinating 'sandpit warrior'. Full overbarrel mod.
    Throw on a 40MOA picatinny rail, 3-64x80 'nightfarce astronomer' scope with illuminated everything and thermal foresight.
    Oh, and sort the trigger.
    Last edited by JockStalk; 04-07-2016 at 15:59.
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

Sounds like with with a bit of tempering the loads and getting more comfortable with it would make a decent stalking and vermin control rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by JockStalk View Post
    Get it out that stock.
    The action will need completely blueprinted and the chamber recut into .275 Ackley.
    What ever made you think 1.5 MOA is accurate enough man? Get reloading and don't stop until you are into three decimal places.
    Cut 8" off the barrel, thread it then ceracoate it in 'desert storm'. Drop it into a synthetic folding tactical stock in co-ordinating 'sandpit warrior'. Full overbarrel mod.
    Throw on a 40MOA picatinny rail, 3-64x80 'nightfarce astronomer' scope with illuminated everything and thermal foresight.
    Oh, and sort the trigger.
    Plus underslung 40mm launcher? A classic Rigby add-on, if I remember correctly.