Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Roe Rut 2016!

Roe Rut 2016!

Well kids,

It's getting to that time again! So I thought I'd start my traditional single thread where any and all rut activity can be mentioned and discussed.

If you've been out, seen anything relating to the rut, squeaked in a buck or doe, shot your best buck to date or whatever, stick the details and/or photos in here. Did the same last year and it worked well.

Historically I've always been fascinated by the differences in start dates, and also how they differ nationally. It's also handy for newbies to see that you can't take the written word of many books that discuss the subject as absolute gospel.

So, away you go folks! Here's to a good rut!
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Strong chasing this morning near Bridport. Watched the pair for around 10 minutes, then they came into my field, and I shot the buck off sticks at around 80 metres. Similar chasing been reported at Owermoigne nr Weymouth in the last few days. Maybe the thundery weather has brought it on early

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...rted-in-Dorset

Yeah I thought it was game on while I was out for a walk with the girlfriend at the weekend.

I was saying it's good weather for it and suspected it might put some Love in the air.....
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

While the text book dictates that Roe bucks are hard to find in the weeks leading up to the rut, on my quite small patch (290 Acres Cotswold farm, 1/3 of it woodland) 8 Roe bucks have already been taken since the 1st. April, two of which in the last week. No rutting activity as such but plenty of Roe bucks showing.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Out with clients off this site from Thursday evening. Starting with a Level 2 stalk, buck taken. From Thursday evening to and including Sunday morning I have grassed 6 cull bucks.
    This brings my total since the 19th May when I started to cull to 25 Bucks. I shall be stalking this weekend, after which I am finished culling, although I may take a medal later as I have 4 showing at present.

I have seen NO sign of rutting yet. The west country always starts earlier in my opinion, and by the end of this month the Roe rut should be underway.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Hoping that there will be some activity on the roe rut in 14 days in Scotland...

Quote Originally Posted by digger9523 View Post
    Yeah I thought it was game on while I was out for a walk with the girlfriend at the weekend
    Aye, mine gets frisky in the countryside too. Must be the air, or something . . . . . . .
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    Aye, mine gets frisky in the countryside too. Must be the air, or something . . . . . . .

Just been watching a buck chasing a doe round in circles tonight. First time I've seen rutting activity this year. Location near Guildford Surrey.

I saw one of those 'roe rings' yesterday. Do they do that only in the rut or at any time? Playing perhaps?