EFP & UK drivers license validities

Bavarianbrit

I assume when the UK leave these items may be invalid in mainland Europe as they have the Euro stars on them and I suppose they will both need to be reapraised legally mandarins get your pencils sharpened.

BB, I'd write to your MP and MEP about this as they need to sort it out. Just as they need to sort out the needs of those of us currently working in Europe. I've sengt you a PM.

BB, I'd write to your MP and MEP about this as they need to sort it out. Just as they need to sort out the needs of those of us currently working in Europe. I've sengt you a PM.
mmm might be a Good idea '' TO put That on HOLD for a bit , owing to the FACT , THAT just '' RIGHT NOW '' they are ALL ''' Incapable ''
OF Sorting Out ''' SWEET FU-K ALL ''

Well I drove in Europe with my UK driving licence before we joined the EEC no problem. After we were in the EEC I hired a car at Frankfurt airport and drove through Germany and Switzerland on my Saudi licence no problem. Don't look for problems which are unlikely to exist.

All those tourists from all over the world manage fine. The bottom line is just that. If you bring in money and help the bottom line you will be accomodated.

David.

But the license shows the stars of Europe which will be history so the UK will need to reissue all of the millions of them with the monarchs head or whatever???
Just my take on it.

Can we not leave the minutia of leaving to the relevant authorities, there are no problems yet apart from those you are looking for. I'm sure a few stars on the driving license will not suddenly mean you cannot drive with it, the license indicates that you are allowed to drive certain types of vehicle having passed a test of competency in your own Country, not that you have passed a test in every Country in the EU. The license will still contain the same information plus a few stars, up until I moved at the end of last year I still had my old green driving license, no stars but it did not stop me driving.

John

No stars on my driving license! Can we have our proper blue passports back? :stir: ( I do realise that there are an awful lot of people here who don't realise we used to have a blue passport)

David.

Can we not leave the minutia of leaving to the relevant authorities, there are no problems yet apart from those you are looking for.

Not quite so. My non-EU wife resides with me, in France, on the basis of EU Directive 2004/38 "Free Movement Rights". Her French Residence Card is due for renewal in September 2016. Now that renewal should be for a minimum of five years and, optimally, ten years. So that will go beyond any "Brexit" date.

As a British Citizen I work in France under those same rights requiring no work permit. And when I come back to the UK with my wife she does so under the same EU Directive. Sadly JAYB it is a lot more than minutia. As currently, under French law as it applies to non-EU citizens, I will post-"Brexit" require a work permit.

Can we not leave the minutia of leaving to the relevant authorities, there are no problems yet apart from those you are looking for. I'm sure a few stars on the driving license will not suddenly mean you cannot drive with it, the license indicates that you are allowed to drive certain types of vehicle having passed a test of competency in your own Country, not that you have passed a test in every Country in the EU. The license will still contain the same information plus a few stars, up until I moved at the end of last year I still had my old green driving license, no stars but it did not stop me driving.

I'll be OK I'm still driving on my green license

I thought the green was no longer valid.
But pre 1998 is still OK so I wasted more cash getting the plastic jobbie.
Ho hum.
[h=2]What to do with your paper counterpart[/h]The paper counterpart to a driving licence has had no legal status since 8 June 2015. You should destroy yours if you have one, but keep your photocard driving licence.
[h=3]If you have a paper driving licence[/h]Paper driving licences issued before 1998 are still valid. Do not destroy your licence.
When you update your name or address, or renew your licence, you’ll only get a photocard licence.

So are you saying that you know for sure what is going to happen, has your wife started the application procedure for her French residency renewal?

Do you foresee difficulties in obtaining a work permit if one is needed, there are so many unknowns at present it is I think pointless worrying or trying to second guess what will happen. I think if I were in your position I would get my wife's application started as soon as possible. One solution could be that they hold the application until article 50 is triggered and then grant it for two years, and re-assess it post Brexit negotiations. Mind you that solution sounds far too simple for any Government to ever contemplate.

I still think you are worrying needlessly, trade etc will still continue, it's only the amount of paperwork that will vary!

John

Not quite so. My non-EU wife resides with me, in France, on the basis of EU Directive 2004/38 "Free Movement Rights". Her French Residence Card is due for renewal in September 2016. Now that renewal should be for a minimum of five years and, optimally, ten years. So that will go beyond any "Brexit" date.

As a British Citizen I work in France under those same rights requiring no work permit. And when I come back to the UK with my wife she does so under the same EU Directive. Sadly JAYB it is a lot more than minutia. As currently, under French law as it applies to non-EU citizens, I will post-"Brexit" require a work permit.

The thing being, JAYB, that I'll no longer be an EU Citizen long before the Residence Card should usually expire. They are issued for five years or ten years. So the French will have three choices: 1) Refuse it as "you'll no longer be an EU Citizen in two/three years time; 2) Issue it for five or ten years in any case; 3) Demand that I apply as a non-EU Citizen and thus pay for the thing and apply under French Law not EU Law.

Still got my little red book. (Call me chairman ;)) If only to make sure I have evidence to hold my groups when I change my license.

David.

If only to make sure I have evidence to hold my groups when I change my license.

I have heard some say that they've "lost" groups when they've renewed their licence. I've still got (only) my pink and green paper licnce. So no spending twenty quid every ten yeras for me!

Re the red book, both my father, and mother, had the old red book. And both were licensed for the "whole lot" (including "X - A track laying vehicle steered by its tracks") and yet both had never taken a driving test in their life.

My father because when he started driving they didn't exist! My mother because they were suspended for WWII and at the end of WWII they just gave people one on as "they'd been driving long enough to not need a test".

My mother was without doubt the worst driver that I have ever seen. Yet never had an accident in her life.

Last edited:
Back