Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tory Leadership Contest

SD Regular

Tory Leadership Contest

Can members make any input here as to the pro-shooting record of the candidates? So that we might write, for what good it might do, to our own MPs with our thoughts on whom they might vote for if undecided?

Here are my comments to my MP:

Mrs May seems to have not been, shall we say, "fully in evidence" for the Remain campaign. Good officers lead from the front. Not stay behind at the back behind their soldiers to wait to see how the battle develops.

As Leicestershire born and bred, coming from a family that enjoyed both hunting and shooting I hope that the expression to "hunt with the hounds and run with the hare" is not lost in translation.

She seems very pinky lefty but a week ago who cared ?
    Yes Minister !

I think Mrs May has made her recent reputation in the post of Home Secretary as an asset stripper. She has done a better job than a master butcher with a roe carcass at trimming everything back to the bone. She started with the police, obviously because they don't have a trade union, it's illegal for them to strike and they could always massage crime figures, so were easy targets but anything else she has responsibility for got the same treatment. Although she was a "stay" advocate in the recent vote, she obviously stayed in the background to be able to strike out for power in the aftermath. Clever, if nothing else I suppose.

As for the rest of the candidates, Michael Gove's main claim to fame so far is stabbing colleagues in the back it seems. The others? Who knows?

Then there's the Labour debacle. Whether you believe in his policies and views on the world or not, it's becoming more and more clear that Jeremy Corbyn can't lead a conga, never mind an opposition party or, heaven forbid a government. I'm really not sure who might be better there at the moment. Anybody probably.

The good news from a shooting point of view is that whoever becomes Prime Minister will have far too much to do without spending time fiddling about with legislation that will affect shooting for the foreseeable future. So I imagine we'll be on an even keel at least until the next election.

Andrea Leadsom - only one worth there sort ,,,

You wouldnt choose any of them ideally - Gove is just embarrassing and a hyper over inflated ego. Liam Fox (who ?) good chap but invisible. Teresa May - grey woman who would be white, Her attitude to the police has removed ACPO but created another Gorgon - doesnt seem to follow-through convincingly - needed at a time like this. The other woman - a changeable face and aggressively self centred with little experience - I can be the next Margaret Thatcher - no likelihood of that appealing to anyone but staunch Tories and this leader has to have wide appeal.
    I'd rather choose the drunken Junkers than most of them. My choice would be the young Timpson.

Jacob Rees-Mogg always talks a good case!!!
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

Quote Originally Posted by The fourth Horseman View Post
    Jacob Rees-Mogg always talks a good case!!!
    Agreed, but sadly he's disadvantaged by his accent and dress sense !!

I did originally think Mrs May had played a very canny game and would possibly be in a straight on test between her and Liam Fox. However having seen Mrs Leadsom n the TV at the weekend she does seem to have a bit of urgency about her and a willingness to get on with it. It will be interesting to hear her plans today, any viable alternative to Mrs May I think would be most welcome. Time will tell.

John

Edited - Just watched her outline her plans for the future, very bright, very intelligent, very articulate, very definite, with what appears to be an acceptable plan for the negotiations for Brexit, impressive. She dealt with all questions put to her in a very competent clear fashion, she stated that she wanted out as quick as possible but was, quite understandably in my view, unable to put a date on when exactly. Free movement will end, those here already are safe and will not be used as bargaining chips, NHS to have a boost, employment to be a priority, housing to get more attention. She was good.

Next!
    Last edited by JAYB; 04-07-2016 at 10:44.
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    I did originally think Mrs May had played a very canny game and would possibly be in a straight on test between her and Liam Fox. However having seen Mrs Leadsom n the TV at the weekend she does seem to have a bit of urgency about her and a willingness to get on with it. It will be interesting to hear her plans today, any viable alternative to Mrs May I think would be most welcome. Time will tell.

John

Edited - Just watched her outline her plans for the future, very bright, very intelligent, very articulate, very definite, with what appears to be an acceptable plan for the negotiations for Brexit, impressive. She dealt with all questions put to her in a very competent clear fashion, she stated that she wanted out as quick as possible but was, quite understandably in my view, unable to put a date on when exactly. Free movement will end, those here already are safe and will not be used as bargaining chips, NHS to have a boost, employment to be a priority, housing to get more attention. She was good.

Next!
    +1 John, a very articulate lady. Favorites in the party usually lose so heres hoping as I'm not sure about Theresa's commitment. If only we could get rid of these bloody lawyers putting up a challenge, it would be great.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

Not to be outdone by the other parties, Nigel Farage has decided to step down. Again. Even Chris Evans is getting in on the act.