Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get rid of stubborn copper fouling in your barrel the easy way?

How to get rid of stubborn copper fouling in your barrel the easy way?

I can discuss about the best copper solvent and way to clean out copper but I thought it best to make a video of my 416 Remington barrel.

A video says a thousand words.

Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

Blaser R93 - Retired now and probably Moshe Dayan's last choice of hunting rifles.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    That's a heck of a hole, looks like you could send a small child in and have him scrub it. I agree, KG 12 is tops.

LOL! I had to find a hole big enough to get light in there and the camera to focus but I did it.

Blaser R93 - Retired now and probably Moshe Dayan's last choice of hunting rifles.

If anybody else wants to post a video of their favour copper cleaner in action in this thread, please feel free to do so.

I'd love too.... but i use KG12 aswell

Question - I have been cleaning barrels with both Hoppes Bore shine and also bore foam. I have left them soak for a few hours and then swabbed them out. Patches come out blue. They look clean to me, but then I run another patch down and it still comes out a little blue. I am using brass Jags, and brass is an alloy of mostly copper with a little bit of Zinc. Is the copper in the jag reacting with the cleaner giving me a blue patch?

More than likely. If you use aluminum jags then that will eliminate that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Question - I have been cleaning barrels with both Hoppes Bore shine and also bore foam. I have left them soak for a few hours and then swabbed them out. Patches come out blue. They look clean to me, but then I run another patch down and it still comes out a little blue. I am using brass Jags, and brass is an alloy of mostly copper with a little bit of Zinc. Is the copper in the jag reacting with the cleaner giving me a blue patch?
    As above, more than likely. If you try washing the jag off in water after each patch and drying it, that helps as there's no bore cleaner left soaking on the jag's surface to react with the copper and a quick pass through of a clean, dry jag with fresh patch shouldn't leave enough time for that reaction to occur. It's what I do now and it gets good results with far less false indicators.

FWIW I use Patch-Out (Wipeout) or M-Pro 7. Have KG12 here but never used it.

Wipeout seems to do the job for me. I've never tried KG12.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1212 View Post
    Wipeout seems to do the job for me. I've never tried KG12.

+1 for Wipeout.