Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not sure Nosler brass is worth the price.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA

Not sure Nosler brass is worth the price.

As you may know, the Nosler brass is supposed to be turn key. Just prime it, drop in the powder , seat a bullet and off you go. On the last two batches of .308 and .243, I had to ream out the primer pockets in order to get the primers to seat properly. Using Rem 9 1/2 and Fed 210 primers. Also, I had the unfortunate experience of trying to chamber a round in the .243 which had not been sized by Nosler. I was in the middle of a varmint shoot when I tried to put a round in but the bolt would not close. I ejected it and took a quick look, nothing wrong so I put in another round and everything was fine. Later I camed it in hard with the bolt and fired it, it came out perfectly and would re-chamber just fine. It must not have gotten sized at the factory. Yes, it was fresh brass right from the box. With all the work I have had to do, I'm thinking the premium price is not justified.

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    As you may know, the Nosler brass is supposed to be turn key. Just prime it, drop in the powder , seat a bullet and off you go.......
    That's how I usually treat Norma.Works out at a quid a piece but if looked after x10 +loads (7mm-08) it's worth the extra..How does that compare with Nosler.
    Last time I bought bullet HEADS they were expensive compared to ie. Sierra..john

Quote Originally Posted by Highlandsjohn View Post
    That's how I usually treat Norma.Works out at a quid a piece but if looked after x10 +loads (7mm-08) it's worth the extra..How does that compare with Nosler.
    Last time I bought bullet HEADS they were expensive compared to ie. Sierra..john

John you should have just bought ordinary BULLETS
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    John you should have just bought ordinary BULLETS
    Fin,When I'm laying out the ton I have thought of that but 'wildcat' ammo is not cheap.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    The Nosler brass is less than one of your quid. About $1.05 each if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by A Guy Out West View Post
    The Nosler brass is less than one of your quid. About $1.05 each if I remember correctly.
    Good value if the quality is good. The way they manufacture it by the million it's little wonder there is the odd bad un'. As you found out it can spoil your day and after all we are paying premium for their quality control ..john

Attachment 71788

This was Nosler brass from the recent H4H shoot. Complete separation.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

I thought Nosler brass was made by Norma, maybe they have a new supplier? Shame as I'm using Nosler and I'm finding it quite good. I just ordered a box of Nosler 7-08 which I haven't looked at yet, I'll see if its as good as the old stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    Attachment 71788

This was Nosler brass from the recent H4H shoot. Complete separation.
    Thats REALLY not good,must have been one that slipped through the net. Was it a home load first fired?
    Never had a problem with Norma in five years loading 7-08. What do they charge over here compared with Norma?.john

Guy out west,I was always taught that you should size and trim new brass as its made to a rough size ????? .a old friend showed me 35 years ago tha treat new brass as once fired and do all of your reloading sequences as normal all the best jason