Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aging Roe (photos attached)

Aging Roe (photos attached)

Good morning chaps,

I'm still very much learning about stalking and had the pleasure of stalking this buck last night.

Could anyone give me a rough indication as to what age he is?

He has a patchy winter / summer coat, blunt teeth and light in the body (photos don't really show this). Therefore my initial thinking is that he's a old boy.

He also has a nasty cut under his chin, presume fencing...?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3605.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	71789Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3612.JPG 
Views:	289 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	71790Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3616.JPG 
Views:	288 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	71791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3618.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	71792Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3622.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	71793

Cheers

By the look of his antlers, coronets and pedicals I would say he is a young buck.
    Cheers FM.

Hi Roestalker. You are right that the older deer will hang on to their winter coat for longer. The teeth you want to be taking a closer look at are the molars as opposed to the incisors. Antlers on Roe don't always follow the rules with a pattern for ageing, but ... If it is young the pedicles should be quite narrow and long (they look slightly wider and shorter to me), the coronets should be small and horizontal, they look angled which is a sign of age. The points are dulled and not pointed and sharp - another sign of age or at least poor growth. Looks to me as if he has had better heads in the past. I will try to post some photos of tooth wear later but this can be area specific to soil types (sandy soil = lots of wear).
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

Great, many thanks Tackleberry!

I would say young as well
    jab

Hard to age without looking at the molers i reckon, also it might be just the angle of the pics but the antler looks to have a twist did it have any signs of fluke?

Regards Tristram

It would be very interesting to get a look at the molars if you still have the bottom jaw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

I would say young by the General look of it

General look. 2 years tops. Pericles small and level. Really need to see molars and a shot of body. Is it slim long n slight etc. How thick is neck. How did it carry head before you shot it. Back straigh or slight dip in it. Ears fluffy or leathery. Etc etc
    Sh1kar