Thread: Freelander M&S Tyres?

Freelander M&S Tyres?

I've recently bought a Freelander (Mk 1) which I really love driving - And (Before anyone says anything) it doesn't leave any traces of oil leaks in my parking space!
    It is currently fitted with some fairly standard 215 x 65 x 16 road tyres (IN pretty good condition) but I am thinking about the possibility of putting some Mud and Snow (type) of tyres on it towards late autumn/winter. I was talking to a friend about this and he said that because of the 30/70 drive on the Freelander he was led to believe that you could not fit A/T or Mud and Snow Tyres on it as it could wind the diff up.
    Can "anyone in the know" enlighten or advise me on this please?

Edit: I should add that it is fitted with "standard" Land Rover Alloy rims - Just in case that might make any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    I've recently bought a Freelander (Mk 1) which I really love driving - And (Before anyone says anything) it doesn't leave any traces of oil leaks in my parking space!
    It is currently fitted with some fairly standard 215 x 65 x 16 road tyres (IN pretty good condition) but I am thinking about the possibility of putting some Mud and Snow (type) of tyres on it towards late autumn/winter. I was talking to a friend about this and he said that because of the 30/70 drive on the Freelander he was led to believe that you could not fit A/T or Mud and Snow Tyres on it as it could wind the diff up.
    Can "anyone in the know" enlighten or advise me on this please?

Edit: I should add that it is fitted with "standard" Land Rover Alloy rims - Just in case that might make any difference.
    my freelander had AT tyres, They certainly recommend you have all the same tyres front and rear because of the ..vcu.. on the prop shaft. John

I put Federal A/T tyres on mine. Trust me, you won't need anything other than these, and I speak from experience of taking my Freebie up a farm track in 2' of snow, as well as numerous occasions in mud and greasy tracks. You should be looking at around 80 a corner. The only time I ever got stuck was when I pushed my luck trying to get up my driveway on wet snow, and even then I'd have doubted anythings ability to get up it.

You won't wind the diff' up. You can't actually, as the 4wd only activates when the front wheels start to slip. Windup only occurs if the VCU has seized. I had a Freebie for a few years, and it would rival anything in most offroad conditions, to be honest. It's a surprisingly-capable truck, and those that denigrate them really don't know what they're talking about
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

The chairman of my gundog club drives a Mark 1 Freelander. He has Pirelli Scorpion 215/65r16 on all 4 corners and says that they're great. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies guys, they were most helpful!
    When the time comes it (Around Autumn time) it seems that I can fit mud and snow tyres on my Freelander as long as I keep all four (Plus the spare) the same tyre pattern.

Hi
    I ran a Freelander 1 for over ten years. If it is a petrol then look on head gaskets as a service item . I had three.
    Keep all tyres the same rolling diameter as possible. The VCU offers some slip but you need the prop shaft in and the prop shaft out turning as much as possible the same speed if you get what I mean. Not unusual to feel a 'binding' when you pull into a parking spot.
    As has been said they are brilliant off road and only limited by ground clearance.
    I had Pirelli Scorpions on mine and they were very good.
    A final head gasket failure sent mine to the scrappers.
    Yorkie.

I thought the mud and snow rated Pirelli scorpions were standard fitment on the Freelander...they are on my Volvo XC70 and it is very sure footed on snow and ice on the road.

The early Volvo (pre Haldex) AWD cars have the feature that in reverse the four wheel drive system locks up 50/50. Does the mk1 Freelander have the same or were they Haldex from the outset?

Alan

Thanks for that Yorkie. So basically as long as I get all 5 tyres matching (i.e. All the same make/type/size) things should be all OK then?
    I didn't mention but mine is the 2 litre diesel!

In reply to Alantoo - I can't comment on what tyres were originally fitted as mine has been re-shod many times since new!

Hi
    Well, if all five are the same rolling diameter you stand a chance with VCU. They are noted for seizing. If you look on youtube there is a test.

It will be very stiff but should move.
    Have you a small swimming pool in the back that masquerades as a locking boot compartment?
    If you have any bother drop me a pm and I will help best I can.
    Yorkie.

I am on my second TD4 , for the money / running costs they are a good all rounder, i am currently on my 3rd set of Pirelli Scorpion STR's , good tyres , rated as M&S but pretty road biased - the tread is not open enough for anything like serious off road but very capable on rough muddy tracks and wet grass ,previously had a set of Uniroyal Rallye's - also good on muddy tracks and wet grass but not M&S rated , a mate runs his mk1 on General Grabbers and rates them highly for serious mud.
    I have been reading about a new Michelin - the Cross Climate - which are getting rave reviews as a 4 season tyre , tread looks fairly busy though so not a serious off road tyre imo , you will have to make your mind up and buy tyres to suit your usage .
    Listen to the advice on maintaining rolling ratio of the tyres, a few mil difference front to rear will start loading up the vcu - effectively getting the 4x4 bit going , this will seriously dent your mpg and eventually seize the vcu - and then take the transfer box with it !