6.5x55. RN prohunters. 160gn

activeviii

Hi All

I have a few boxes of 160grain prohunters in the cupboard. tried to sell but no intrest so i might as well use them.

does anyone have any data on them with vith N150 or N165, i have this in the cupboard and as its only 200 rounds there is no point in buying more powder if one of these will do the job. if they shoot to an inch then i will use on the fallow.

going in the 6.5swede. cci primers

Should be a good boar round . Shame your not close by I would have had a box off you

I'll have a look this evening. I've just about used the box I bought for a moose hunt I went on. Have used them since on everything from fallow, red, roe and munty. Seem a pretty good round which still expanded on the munty. They really do penetrate. I shot one into a lump of Ash wood end on and it went in about 12 inches. Timber was hard and had dried in the sun. I will have used N160 but should have details for N165.

Hi All

I have a few boxes of 160grain prohunters in the cupboard. tried to sell but no intrest so i might as well use them.

does anyone have any data on them with vith N150 or N165, i have this in the cupboard and as its only 200 rounds there is no point in buying more powder if one of these will do the job. if they shoot to an inch then i will use on the fallow.

They do shoot to 1” at a max of 2450fps in a 22” barrel.

Don’t try N150. N165 is the one @ 43.0 – 46.0*.

Also, don’t try to extrapolate the data usually published for 160gr loads in the 6.5 x 55. Nearly all of these are for N160, and show higher charges based on the Hornady 160gr RN. The Sierra 160gr SMP is a very different character.

Last edited:

Vihtavouri current reloading data only goes up to 139 gr Lapua Scenar:-
6,5 x 55 Swedish Mauser/ SKAN - Rifle reloading - Reloading Data - Vihtavuori

The superseded Vihtavouri 2009 reloading data shows for 156 gr Lapua Mega:-
N165 - starting load = 42.3 gr (v = 2222 ft/sec) and maximum load = 49.0 gr (v = 2478 ft/sec),
N150 - No data.

I wouldn't use the N150 if I were you, it appears to be too fast for a 160 gr bullet.

43gn of n165 as a start load is about what i have worked out so that helps massively. i also need 2400fps, or there abouts to be English legle so again thats about where i was too.

forgot to say its for a tikka t3 so need new data.

i used the lee OAL data and it turned out its .20 off the lands. 3.1 OAL

these look well massive.
thanks for the help gents. ill get out and try them tomorrow.

I thought it was only in Scotland where a 'legal' MV of 2450fps was required? In England
it's just ME , No?
That's the reason the Mannlicher Schoenauer in 6.5x54 using a 160gn bullet was outlawed in Scotland.

Good bullet though the 160gn, although I use the Hornady Interlock RN, certainly floors the beasties (in England)

Last edited:
I thought it was only in Scotland where a 'legal' MV of 2450fps was required? In England
it's just ME , No?
That's the reason the Mannlicher Schoenauer in 6.5x54 using a 160gn bullet was outlawed in Scotland.

Good bullet though the 160gn, although I use the Hornady Interlock RN, certainly floors the beasties (in England)

sort of, 2400fps translate to the 1700 foot pound needed to be legel. its foot pound here that counts.

OMG!
43grains, flat primers, 1" group.
43.3gains, primer starting to flow back and its a one hole group. but pulling the trigger is like getting run over. i now have whiplash, im sure i do.

think i'll work down the load untill i find another node as up here in 43's its brutal.

They do shoot to 1” at a max of 2450fps in a 22” barrel.

Don’t try N150. N165 is the one @ 43.0 – 46.0*.

Also, don’t try to extrapolate the data usually published for 160gr loads in the 6.5 x 55. Nearly all of these are for N160, and show higher charges based on the Hornady 160gr RN. The Sierra 160gr SMP is a very different character.

OMG!
43grains, flat primers, 1" group.
43.3gains, primer starting to flow back and its a one hole group. but pulling the trigger is like getting run over. i now have whiplash, im sure i do.

think i'll work down the load untill i find another node as up here in 43's its brutal.

Assuming that you're not misinterpreting the signs, have you checked the OAL clearance? Recoil is subjective.

In my Tikka M695 (same as T3?) this works out @ 75.3mm Max on the gauge. This is a very short setup due to the shape & style of the 160gr SMP.

41.0 of VN160 gets 2470 fps - I've gone up to 44.0 but that was too far.

46.0 IMR 7828 does 2420 fps comfortably. N165 is only a smidgen faster

Back