Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who keeps all their heads?

Who keeps all their heads?

As I have shot only half a dozen roe to date and am new to stalking. I am very keen to get every head, be it good or bad mounted.

So... at what point do you draw a line and only keep the best heads? (also when heads are mounted to shields, who keeps the bottom jaw)

Cheers

Keep all the interesting/best stalks,just cut and hooked on a nail,no plaques.

I think much of the answer to your question depends on your living conditions and, most importantly, the frame of mind of your other half, if there is one.
    Half a dozen, conveniently scattered around the house, was fine... but then the pushback comes...
    So, unless you have a shed/mancave/gun-room/dungeon it might not be easy.

Personally I have kept some of my first bucks and, since then, either the ones that have a good stalk/story or were different or of interest in some way.

Good luck with the journey!

what dosnt go in the house goes in the shoot room on the shoot at home ......great topic of conversation on a game shooting days lunch .

My better ones go into the hallway, as do the ones that have an interesting story to go with them, regardless of their size
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by Casual-T View Post
    I think much of the answer to your question depends on your living conditions and, most importantly, the frame of mind of your other half, if there is one.
    Half a dozen, conveniently scattered around the house, was fine... but then the pushback comes...
    So, unless you have a shed/mancave/gun-room/dungeon it might not be easy.

Personally I have kept some of my first bucks and, since then, either the ones that have a good stalk/story or were different or of interest in some way.

Good luck with the journey!
    I keep the best of the last and current year normally so it increments slowly. Also only have two on the wall that are best of last year and current year if they are worth it. The rest sit in a box on the top shelf in the kitchen.
    I do have a dungeon but it's to cold and dark down there. Not to mention creepy and only gets opened up for a viewing on occasion.
    Last edited by Cris; 05-07-2016 at 11:51.

Sorry, thought this was a thread about bullets.

Wolfie

There is always a time when you have to say........Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1455.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	380.8 KB 
ID:	71901

I regret not bringing home the head of the first deer I ever shot, a wee muntie buck. It was nothing special, but would have been made special being my first. I've since kept my first and only roe buck head, a 5 pointer, and my first and probably last CWD head. I've shot a few fallow but never bothered with the head as they've always been young bucks with very small antlers.
    I've been told not to mount any for the wall, so they just stay in the cellar with my other stalking paraphernalia. For now...
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

I have most of the ones I have shot barring a few which I gave to others. I now boil out and keep every one as a record of what came off which ground. Medals come in the house. Others go in the garage. Started doing much more stalking in the last couple of years and it is starting to show. No way would she let me have them all in the house!
    Attachment 71907Attachment 71908

Medals come around very rarely for me so just as well there is plenty garage space!