Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger no.1

Ruger no.1

I have a Ruger no.1 in 243, anyone else use one, I know a couple of folk with them, but never hear them mentioned on here.

I like them, I've also had them in 220swift & 22-250.

I have always admired the compact looks of the No 1, hows it group and whats the trigger like if you don't mind me asking?

I had a No1 in .270 for about 4 years. it would shoot 3/4" groups but you do have to be carefull what you rest on as it will change the POI (well mine did anyway)
    I thought it was a lovely rifle and balanced really well. the factory trigger was heavy but i bought a Wolf spring from the states and had a guy called Andy Dyke sort the sears. after that it was a joy to use. i would still have it now if i hadn't seen a left handed 6.5 for sale.

Ezzy

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Guy View Post
    I have always admired the compact looks of the No 1, hows it group and whats the trigger like if you don't mind me asking?
    Group?????? eh , you can break clay doo's at a 100yrds easily enough, and rabbits/crows out in the middle of a field ok.

The trigger is fine, I had Callum Ferguson play with it when it was new, before I ever fired a shot out of it [about 1 - 1 1/2lbs].

A friend uses one, and he has one for sale I am contemplating. I was going to try and buy a CZ 550 in 7x64 but am tempted by a "Gentleman's Gun".

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

when I first took over the job im in now the estate rifle was a Ruger (i think it was a No1) in .270 guise

It kicked like a f***ing HORSE!!

I think I used less than a box in it before it got traded in.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    A friend uses one, and he has one for sale I am contemplating. I was going to try and buy a CZ 550 in 7x64 but am tempted by a "Gentleman's Gun".

ft
    In that case order it in a gentleman's calibre. Get in touch with Viking Arms and they'll get you one chambered in 303 British.
    I was sorely tempted myself, but no matter how many times I tell myself I can afford it, I know I'm lying
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

I have been using a Ruger No 1 in 25/06 for the last 5 years, only ammunition used has been Federal Powershok 117 grain soft points, suits me just fine, over the moon i didn't need to experiment with different ammo......can group just under an inch.......ok its a heavy beast with T8 on a heavy barrel but nothing to worry about. I like the fact ive got to make that first shot count, haven't felt the need to stretch the barrel so all good..........i know these rifles get grief over their trigger and forearm hanger but there's plenty of good info on the net as to how to sort these wee issues........if you like a rifle that points like a good shotgun look no further.........Cheers !

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    In that case order it in a gentleman's calibre. Get in touch with Viking Arms and they'll get you one chambered in 303 British.
    I was sorely tempted myself, but no matter how many times I tell myself I can afford it, I know I'm lying
    HM, I had been thinking about, or tempted by, a 7x57 (.275 Rigby). As used by several victorian/edwardian "Gentlemen" of note. But I can't afford new, this is a second gun. My main squeeze (6.5x55) will do the brunt of what I want, but I do want another slightly larger calibre that will cope with boar too. Hence thinking about the 7x64 CZ, which is more in my price range

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post

ft
    Gentleman's Gun? I'm sure somewhere you said you played as a Forward !

WG