Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry firing.

Dry firing.

Just needing some reassurance from you knowledgeable chaps. OK to dry fire a centre fire rifle on an empty chamber?
    I read yes.
    Any comments?
    Just wanting to up my hours behind the gun.
    Thank you.

you will get various opinions on this one, easiest thing if your worried is just to buy a snap cap off ebay or similar and crack on

I personally prefer not to, though I too have heard and seen people do it. This is just my opinion of course and there are probably people out there who have been dry firing for years with absolutely no adverse impact.

My rationale is that firing pins are very hard but they are also somewhat brittle, and the detonator in a cartridge acts as a sort of cushion to soften the impact somewhat. Therefore I always prefer to fire with something in the chamber.

I would get a snap-cap as 69chris says, just affords some level of protection.

Dry fire all you want, it will do no harm, only good as the spring on your firing pin will not be under pressure in your gun safe.

You can dry-fire a centre-fire rifle on an empty chamber & get away with it, but never a shotgun or rim-fire. I use snap-caps for all of them anyway. If you get 2 or 3 for the rifle you can also practise cycling the bolt quickly in case you ever need to.

Out of interest why not on a rim-fire?

Well wcog, I read that it's because the firing pin hits the barrel. I do not speak from any position of authority. Plenty on here who know.
    Last edited by goathunter1; 05-07-2016 at 18:03.

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    You can dry-fire a centre-fire rifle on an empty chamber & get away with it, but never a shotgun or rim-fire. I use snap-caps for all of them anyway. If you get 2 or 3 for the rifle you can also practise cycling the bolt quickly in case you ever need to.
    Funny - I was told the complete opposite!

Quote Originally Posted by wcog106 View Post
    Out of interest why not on a rim-fire?
    If you do it a lot you can make the edge of the chamber bulge, making it difficult to get a round in.
    Last edited by McKenzie; 05-07-2016 at 17:58.

Done it with all my rifles without any problem. Son learnt the hard way with his 410