Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transporting Ammo to the Range

Transporting Ammo to the Range

Is it legal to carry loaded magazines to the range? As a sufferer of osteoarthritis in both thumbs loading a magazine does, on occasion, present me with some issues. So its a blessing for me to be able to take my time and load slowly at home the night before a range day and carry fully loaded magazines to the range.

But what would happen if I was pulled over by plod, would they get all twitchy?

Norman

Can't see a problem if they are separated from the firearm.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I was at a meeting some years ago and the topic of rounds in a magazine got brought up. Some police deem it as a loaded firearm even if the magazine is not in the rifle! Others don't. So really depends which police officers stops you. If I was you I would just carry them loaded and worry about it if and when you get stopped.

It doesn't matter if you have the ammo separate from the rifle, in magazines, or even loaded in the chamber. If you are committing an offence under S.19 of carrying a firearm in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse - which obviously doesn't apply to you while travelling to the range - any of the aforementioned states are applicable.

The last one of having the rifle with a chambered round, whilst unwise from a practical perspective, is not in itself illegal.

Fundamentally it is an offence to carry an firearm whether loaded or not in a public place unless you have good reason.

Transporting a firearm to and from a range is a good reason.

The Firearms guidance notes do make reference to transporting a firearm in a vehicle and sensible precautions to take if leaving the vehicle - removing bolt, ammunition etc. but does n't make any reference to whether or not firearm is loaded, or indeed whether or not magazines are loaded.

In your position I would carry the rifle itself in a case with the ammunition/magazines and firing pin / bolt in a separate case.

Plod being twitchy, frankly will depend on how you handle the situation. Being polite, open and responsible is the answer.

Due to clumsy wording, possibly.

The law says a loaded magazine, which I think meant attached or integral to the firearm. But it doesn't make that distinction.

What firearm are you thinking of?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post

The law says a loaded magazine, which I think meant attached or integral to the firearm. But it doesn't make that distinction.

Which 'law' are you referring to that mentions 'a loaded magazine'?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post

AR15 platform 5.56 straight pull, .22RF semi-auto

Quote From Firearms act.
    19Carrying firearm in a public place.

A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place
    [F1(a)
    a loaded shot gun,

(b)
    an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

(c)
    any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

(d)
    an imitation firearm.]

Any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm.

Whether the magazine is filled or not, it makes no difference to the possession in a public place.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Which 'law' are you referring to that mentions 'a loaded magazine'?
    Sorry. It was the definition of loaded air weapons.

Ignore my above comment.