Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking barrel in, what's the verdict?

Breaking barrel in, what's the verdict?

Right gents, question for the knowledgeable.

I bought a new Howa 1500 .204 as a bad weather rough gun, having said that I still have mechanical sympathy and can't stand wilful abuse. In the online manual it mentions breaking the barrel in, and using window cleaner not bore cleaner in between each shot. I understand the need to remove oil and fire a few rounds to "seal" the pores in the barrel but what's the majority view on breaking a barrel in?

Any opinions appreciated, what's your preferred method?.

Only my opinion, after having spoke to some long range target shooters that say with the modern materials and manufacturing its not needed, but if the manufacturer gives you a routine for breaking in the barrel, its not a lot of inconvience to follow the routine
    I bought a new sako and followed the breaking in routine, whether it makes a difference i will never know, personaly I enjoyed the breaking in process, you get to know your rifle and how it works
    plus you say you have mechanical sympathy so you know you are going to follow the procedure
    Ray

It works for me. See cleaning improve markedly over the course of the process.

For those convinced barrel cleaning is a waste of time, then barrel break-in is of little use.

Wolfie

Step one. Run a boresnake down the pipe.
    Step two. Shoot it till you can fry bacon on the barrel.
    Step three. Eat bacon.
    Step four. Repeat until all ammo or bacon is expended.
    If you don't like bacon I can't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by MTLEADFARMER View Post
    Step one. Run a boresnake down the pipe.
    Step two. Shoot it till you can fry bacon on the barrel.
    Step three. Eat bacon.
    Step four. Repeat until all ammo or bacon is expended.
    If you don't like bacon I can't help you.
    I do like bacon, very much so, but I've also seen those redneck pick up trucks and they don't go down well with the mechanical sympathy route Nice and esy way to do it though

Quote Originally Posted by Ray7756 View Post
    Only my opinion, after having spoke to some long range target shooters that say with the modern materials and manufacturing its not needed, but if the manufacturer gives you a routine for breaking in the barrel, its not a lot of inconvience to follow the routine
    I bought a new sako and followed the breaking in routine, whether it makes a difference i will never know, personaly I enjoyed the breaking in process, you get to know your rifle and how it works
    plus you say you have mechanical sympathy so you know you are going to follow the procedure
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Ray7756 View Post
    Ray
    This is the only thing break in procedure is good for.
    Mechanical sympathy? It's a tool, use it.

There are more rifle barrels goosed with stupid cleaning regimes and old wife tales to and from the gullible..

Would it be more applicable to bored barrels than to hammer-forged barrels?
    The explanation and procedure that used to be on the old Border Barrels website, seemed to make sense. They used Forest Bore Foam.

[QUOTE=JTO;1134954]Would it be more applicable to bored barrels than to hammer-forged barrels?
    The explanation and procedure that used to be on the old Border Barrels website, seemed to make sense. They used Forest Bore Foam.[/QUOTE

Yes good advice, Barrel manufacturers are, who you should take advice...

How did your barrel get in this state? " I put this incredibly corrosive cleaning agent into my barrel and left it overnight as I thought it would clean it even better than the thirty minutes advised" Mmmm how often do you do this? "I do this every time I fire a shot through it" wrong...