Driven Wild Boar bullet choice/recommendations

Andy7mm

I am looking for some advice from people about bullet choice for driven wild boar, not caliber choice.

The basic question is, would it be better to use my current ammo, 140gr GMX (copper alloy, non lead) or use some heavier rounds? In a 7mm Rem mag.

I have no doubt that the 140gr will go right through any pigs that might walk out in front of me.

The issue is would channel if the bullet doesn't hit bone on the way in.

Any advice welcome.

Andy7mm

I tend to go for heavier bullets rather than lighter when targeting boar. Bullets with good expansion.
Federal Premium 150gr partitions or Norma 156gr Vulkans. Both lead cored.
I have never used the GMX and have never found any where I buy, though from recent reading they look interesting enough. As do the RWS 150gr EVO
Just for comparisons sake I use a 270win.

I have seen online videos of some excellent shooters knocking down boar with lighter projectiles, but I am not that good so I tend to go for heaver loads that will expand well and drain an animal if the shot placement isnt perfect.
Shot placement is key.

Last edited:
GMX loaded rounds are being sold by the LE decision as barrier busting rounds, their civi division sell them for boar, so I think it's fair to say they will smash anything.

I have some to try in another calibre, but haven't had chance yet.

its true they sell them for boar, but they do little or no driven hunts in that part of the world. Mostly high seat shooting/ baiting, stalking or lamping. so there is adequate time for bullet placement.. I think bullet choice depends what style of shooting you will be doing + your skill, not just the quarry you will be shooting. For any of the above 140gr or even 130gr is more than enough in a 7mmRM. even FMJ in lower calibres if you go for the brain...
For a running boar unless you are some shooting ninja god like franz albrecht, you want something that causes adequate trauma and damage in case you miss a vital, and even then, you may have an animal that gets away and dies days later from a stomach wound
Andy7mm hasnt told us what style of shooting he is pairing the bullet choice with.

edit: around here almost everyone I know uses very heavy soft points anywhere from 180gr to 280+gr in 9,3x62 and 300WM. Very few use 30.06 and even those go for as heavy as they can handle in recoil. (after all you usually dont shoot enough to bust a shoulder)

This is probably one of those topics that opens pandoras box because everyone has different experiences and therefore opinions... but makes for a fun discussion.

Last edited:
its true they sell them for boar, but they do little or no driven hunts in that part of the world. Mostly high seat shooting/ baiting, stalking or lamping. so there is adequate time for bullet placement.. I think bullet choice depends what style of shooting you will be doing not just the quarry you will be shooting. For any of the above 140gr or even 130gr is more than enough in a 7mmRM. even FMJ if you go for the brain...
For a running boar unless you are some shooting ninja god, you want something that causes adequate trauma and damage in case you miss a vital, and even then, you may have an animal that gets away and dies days later from a stomach wound
Andy7mm hasnt told us what style of shooting he is pairing the bullet choice with.

Fair points.

Try Berger VLD Hunting, amazing bullet with good KO. In lot of cases too much damage to carcass, but you don't need to search the animal.

Get a good quality bonded bullet. I now use 165grn home loaded Norma Oryx in .308. Norma are now doing a 165grn oryx cartridge. I still have plenty of Remmington 180 grn bonded and they kill boar OK as well.

I'd go for the heaviest for caliber you can get, but also bear in mind that some countries/regions/states require lead free ammo regardless so consider this before selecting, I would speak to someone in the area you're planning on hunting and get advice from them on local conditions

its true they sell them for boar, but they do little or no driven hunts in that part of the world. Mostly high seat shooting/ baiting, stalking or lamping. so there is adequate time for bullet placement.. I think bullet choice depends what style of shooting you will be doing + your skill, not just the quarry you will be shooting. For any of the above 140gr or even 130gr is more than enough in a 7mmRM. even FMJ in lower calibres if you go for the brain...
For a running boar unless you are some shooting ninja god like franz albrecht, you want something that causes adequate trauma and damage in case you miss a vital, and even then, you may have an animal that gets away and dies days later from a stomach wound

edit: around here almost everyone I know uses very heavy soft points anywhere from 180gr to 280+gr in 9,3x62 and 300WM. Very few use 30.06 and even those go for as heavy as they can handle in recoil. (after all you usually dont shoot enough to bust a shoulder)

This is probably one of those topics that opens pandoras box because everyone has different experiences and therefore opinions... but makes for a fun discussion.

It will be traditional driven hunting.

I know what you mean Ileso, that was what i was looking for. the more information you have the better decision you can make:)

Andy7mm

I used to occasionally use my 7x64 on boar with a 165gr Geco soft point being my load of choice.

Go for something heavy would be my advice 160gr and solidly built

Scrummy

I would go for big and heavy as range wont be long. But check your hunting area. I am off to Germany to shoot boar quite soon and been advised by my host that we will certainly have to use non-toxic bullets. I am loading up some 140gn GMX for my 7x65r, but I also have a few 173gn ID Classic rounds as well, which I will use if I can.

There lots of options for non toxic if thats the case... There may even be more available in the country where you will shoot.

The basic question is, would it be better to use my current ammo, 140gr GMX (copper alloy, non lead) or use some heavier rounds? In a 7mm Rem mag.

I have no doubt that the 140gr will go right through any pigs that might walk out in front of me.

The issue is would channel if the bullet doesn't hit bone on the way in.

I don't have personal experience on GMX (or 7mm Rem Mag either).

I wouldn't worry about the wound channel, Hornady 80598 (140gr GMX Superformance International) is traveling over 900m/s / 2950fps at 100m.

Shoot some rounds into tight packed wet newspaper or similar media if you're worried.

I'd go for the heaviest for caliber you can get, but also bear in mind that some countries/regions/states require lead free ammo regardless so consider this before selecting, I would speak to someone in the area you're planning on hunting and get advice from them on local conditions

I agree that the OP should go for the heaviest soft point available. A 175gr partition would be ideal probably. A big wound channel is what you need if it is drive boar.

Deerstalker .308 in some places (Germany) mono-metal bullets are actually banned for driven boar due to high incidence of ricochet. Another good reason not to use them if indeed it is driven boar the OP is after.

I've shot quite a few Wild Boar in Germany when posted there with the Army. A few friends of mine used 150gr .308 and quite a few experienced "runners"... I used 180gr and all went down first shot....

In the area of Spain I live in quite a lot of Boar hunting takes place and the local shop does not stock bullets of less than 180g for any of the boar type rifles eg .308 upwards ?

Tony

Personally I use the near heaviest bullet I can get in Woodleigh so 175gr PP is the go now, before it was 175 interlocks but I had jacket separation. The thing with driven hunts with dogs, is if the shot doesn't kill them the dogs will track it down eventually if they are any good.

Back