Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lynx escape in Devon

Lynx escape in Devon

Lynx wild cat in Dartmoor Zoo escape alert - BBC News

just saw this, escaped on the edge of Dartmoor - I doubt they will see it again!

They only took delivery of the cat on Wednesday, must have been home sick and done a bunk.

Quote Originally Posted by B&W FOX View Post
    They only took delivery of the cat on Wednesday, must have been home sick and done a bunk.
    Wouldn't it be amusing if it turned out to be a a pregnant female...

Thats the kind of rewilding I like. Sod beavers lets get some apex predators in like bears, wolves and Mountain Lions. That will thin the townies out from invading the countryside

Can someone please send in for a variation for Lynx

And the usual paranoia from the press starts, anyone would think its a bloody Lion or Tiger. Its a Lynx and no doubt will be quite at home in Dartmoor.
    So here we have an escaped Lynx, so how is this going to work if they start releasing them into the countryside in the future??

Are we to see this kind of reaction in the press, stay inside keep your children safe etc ? Bit of a joke, police helicopter used to try and find it. I feel its a waste of resources and valuable police time. So if they release Lynx as they are planning into the UK are we to see a helicopter deployed every time a Lynx is seen or gets near humans?
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Apparently it's a 2 year old male.
    I doubt they'll find it now unless it is quite tame.
    I agree: waste of police time and resources

'A police spokesman said: "If members of the public sight it they should call 999 immediately'

And SNH want to release the bloody things all over Scotland. Am I the only one to find this level of 'right-on' incompetence actually quite funny? Ach well, I guess the lynx will eat the beavers, then no doubt SNH will want to go back to muttering about releasing wolves to eat the lynx. Pretty glad I have AOLQ. (And a shovel)
    Last edited by Woodsmoke; 07-07-2016 at 12:02.
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    And the usual paranoia from the press starts, anyone would think its a bloody Lion or Tiger. Its a Lynx and no doubt will be quite at home in Dartmoor.
    So here we have an escaped Lynx, so how is this going to work if they start releasing them into the countryside in the future??

Are we to see this kind of reaction in the press, stay inside keep your children safe etc ? Bit of a joke, police helicopter used to try and find it. I feel its a waste of resources and valuable police time. So if they release Lynx as they are planning into the UK are we to see a helicopter deployed every time a Lynx is seen or gets near humans?

Yeah, I agree, sounds like a bunch of people who don't know what they are dealing with following procedure. Unless it's hand reared and unusually familiar with humans I can't see it being any significant risk to the public. Flying the police helicopter during the day is unlikely to find it because it will be a tiny heat signature under all the foliage at this time of year. Probably best to wait until the night when it is more likely to be on the move, but like you say, what's the point.

Total waste of time and money.
    Also an apt demonstration of the daft way the mind of the townies and faux-country folk works. An escapee is a terrifying danger to public safety, but a released lynx would be totally fine?
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

I'm off home to get me gun and binoculars, .