Lynx escape in Devon

Thats the kind of rewilding I like. Sod beavers lets get some apex predators in like bears, wolves and Mountain Lions. That will thin the townies out from invading the countryside :)

Can someone please send in for a variation for Lynx :D

And the usual paranoia from the press starts, anyone would think its a bloody Lion or Tiger. Its a Lynx and no doubt will be quite at home in Dartmoor.
So here we have an escaped Lynx, so how is this going to work if they start releasing them into the countryside in the future??

Are we to see this kind of reaction in the press, stay inside keep your children safe etc ? Bit of a joke, police helicopter used to try and find it. I feel its a waste of resources and valuable police time. So if they release Lynx as they are planning into the UK are we to see a helicopter deployed every time a Lynx is seen or gets near humans?

Apparently it's a 2 year old male.
I doubt they'll find it now unless it is quite tame.
I agree: waste of police time and resources

'A police spokesman said: "If members of the public sight it they should call 999 immediately'

And SNH want to release the bloody things all over Scotland. Am I the only one to find this level of 'right-on' incompetence actually quite funny? Ach well, I guess the lynx will eat the beavers, then no doubt SNH will want to go back to muttering about releasing wolves to eat the lynx. Pretty glad I have AOLQ. (And a shovel) :lol:

Last edited:
And the usual paranoia from the press starts, anyone would think its a bloody Lion or Tiger. Its a Lynx and no doubt will be quite at home in Dartmoor.
So here we have an escaped Lynx, so how is this going to work if they start releasing them into the countryside in the future??

Are we to see this kind of reaction in the press, stay inside keep your children safe etc ? Bit of a joke, police helicopter used to try and find it. I feel its a waste of resources and valuable police time. So if they release Lynx as they are planning into the UK are we to see a helicopter deployed every time a Lynx is seen or gets near humans?

Yeah, I agree, sounds like a bunch of people who don't know what they are dealing with following procedure. Unless it's hand reared and unusually familiar with humans I can't see it being any significant risk to the public. Flying the police helicopter during the day is unlikely to find it because it will be a tiny heat signature under all the foliage at this time of year. Probably best to wait until the night when it is more likely to be on the move, but like you say, what's the point.

Total waste of time and money.
Also an apt demonstration of the daft way the mind of the townies and faux-country folk works. An escapee is a terrifying danger to public safety, but a released lynx would be totally fine? :doh:

Who says it escaped, it's only what's been reported. It could be a way to trial a lynx in the wild saying well it escaped but worked out well. This way no one is to blame if it goes wrong.

Who's said theres excessive deer in that neck of the woods and that it's a problem?

No idea what the deer populations are ther, being at the other end of the country. I was just making a sarky comment about those that wish to release Lynx on the understanding they will successfully control deer populations.

I know your only kidding about the helicopter. Never heard of a lynx attacking a human, ever. Alberta Boy, have you? A number 3 coil spring foot hold trap with a feather on a string about 3 feet over it will return the cat to the zoo.

Who says it escaped, it's only what's been reported. It could be a way to trial a lynx in the wild saying well it escaped but worked out well. This way no one is to blame if it goes wrong.

Oh you cynical weeman,I would never have dared think that, never mind articulate it.tsk tsk. ah' well, another conspiracy.:D

Back