Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BDS Deer Management Course

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

BDS Deer Management Course

Anyone from the site planning on attending one of the BDS Deer Management courses?

http://www.bds.org.uk/course_dates.html

Hope to get to Thetford myself.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Willie,

Thetfor is my Birthday week which I normally take off for a spot of stalking.

I only have DSC1 at the moment but from reading DSC2 is prefered but DSC1 should do the job!

I'd be interested from anyone with the qualification to understand a bit more about whats required and how difficult a course it is?

Also how to the FC look at this qualification. Would I still need to complete DSC2 to get/join a lease or is this viewed as a higher qualification?

Thanks

Robbo25

Willie

I have my name down for the Deer Management Course ay Wadhurst in November. I found out that the Wadhurst Course is based at a deer park, so am a little concerned that the course content might be based around captive deer. Thinking of switching to Thetford. Has anyone completed a Deer Management Course at Wadhurst ?

Sticks

Sticks

The Thetford course is being run at Elveden estate (http://www.elveden.com/default.asp). Date-wise I couldn't make the others.

Robbo

DSC1 and DSC2 are quite different qualifications.

In DMQ's own words, DSC1 is "a largely knowledge based qualification which enables candidates to demonstrate their understanding of basic deer management principles and meat hygiene, and to show competence in shooting at simulated targets."

Whereas DSC 2 is designed so that the candidate can "demonstrate their knowledge and competence in legally, safely and humanely culling deer and dealing with carcasses hygienically."

You can find out more about them both here: http://www.dmq.org.uk/ in particular check out the FAQ's. Also if you search for "DSC2" here on the site you'll get lots of results!

willie_gunn

Will be at Thetford if they still have spaces

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Willie

I have my name down for the Deer Management Course ay Wadhurst in November. I found out that the Wadhurst Course is based at a deer park, so am a little concerned that the course content might be based around captive deer. Thinking of switching to Thetford. Has anyone completed a Deer Management Course at Wadhurst ?

Sticks
    Hi

Yes, I did the course at Wadhurst 2 years ago. The course is given by BDS Trainers, so the content is likely to be to a set standard and format, which is approved by LANTRA. The deer management principles are not solely Park orientated, but are framed to cover all differing habitats in the UK.

The advantage of the Park Environment is that it is easy to see different species of deer , and obviously some that one would not encounter in UK normally. The lardering/ hygiene set up is exemplary, and it is the one that stars in Chris Howards BDS Gralloching DVD, something for the rest of us to aspire to I think.

The exams are in accordance with Lantra requirements and Park Deer are only a small part of UK Deer Management, so the answer is that IMHO the venue does not make a huge difference to the course content.

I would encourage anyone to do the course, as I certainly got a lot from it and met a group of interesting and like minded people for the week. It didn't improve my stalking, but it certainly improved my knowledge and understanding.

Best

P

I did this course back in the days when it was titled the 'Advanced Stalker'.

Still feel that it is one of the best and most enjoyable I have attended.

I would recommend anyone to attend - though it is intended for a stalker with a good level of practical and theoretical experience.

Rgds

Ian

im not a member of the bds. can i still do a course or do you have to join first? and is there any in the north?

bunnydan

Don't know about the membership question - give them a call and they'll tell you soon enough. They certainly don't require it if you do the DSC1 with them and they didn't ask me about membership when I enrolled for Thetford.

If you check the link in the first post there is a course running at Catterick on 13-17 September.

willie_gunn

I did it back in 2007. Very good course!
    I think you need to have a good base knowledge of deer related matters before going on it to get the best out of it though. DSC 1 & 2 would be advantageous but shouldn't be a necessity. The exam at the end will test your hand if you are not used to writing though! (That said, it can be taken orally for those with difficulties in writing).
    I don't know why they don't just call it DSC level 3 though?!
    Then various agencies could insist we had that as well!
    Any thoughts on that one?!
    MS