Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer caliber advice needed.

Deer caliber advice needed.

Right I am sure this will probably have been done to death in one way or another but sorry here it all goes again

I have had my FAC for about 8 months now and have slots for both .17hmr and .22lr and now am going to take things to the next level. I have now been on a total of 5 stalks for roe (3 in scotland 2 with john from Yorkshire deer stalking) and have taken 1 buck. I have just booked, with my dad, 2 red stags each for early august and as i was always going to apply for a .243 i am in two minds as to what to do.

I was always planning on going .243 for fox and roe as my main quarry but now with the reds on the cards i am in two minds. I know that .243 can be enough for reds but it is starting to get a bit marginal.

I am now thinking that i will be going something like a .222/.223/.22-250 for my foxing rifle and then for deer something like 6.5x55/.270/308 with potential of both boar and african plains game in the coming years. the problem with this being i live on a farm and we have 600 acres of land with a decent roe population on it so i may take 2 or 3 bucks a year from it when i have a bit more experience but these calibers may be too big however as it would only be 2 or 3 bucks a year i could be highly selective and something like a 223 would be far more useful as a foxing tool on the farm.

So what i suppose i am trying to say is that what caliber would you recommend to be used on roe, red and i suppose fallow and sika up to boar and plains game?

Another problem is that it would mean two rifle set ups not just the one so i would probably have to go second hand as opposed to new so far as the rifle is concerned as i was always going to buy second hand optics anyway.

So back to the point what calibers would you recommend?

George

It's always a tricky subject this one as everybody can claim almost any legal calibre does the job and will be able to produce evidence.

In the end it usually boils down to personal prejudice/choice/logic, call it what you will.

The best advice I have ever heard on the subject is shoot a few different brands of rifle, in whatever calibre, and go for the rifle that feels the best in whatever calibre comes along in the right rifle package.

The RFD can hold on to it for a while whilst you get the one-for-one sorted and away you go.

There is very little difference in killing power between the deer legal calibres you mention, very little that can not be mainly attributed to use of different designs of bullets in any event!

FWIW, I would say get a 270 and a .222, mainly because these calibres are unfashionable at the moment and you are more likely to find a bargain rifle.

The .270 will handle most plainsgame and boar but you will want another rifle guaranteed by that time.

Your first rifle is never going to be your last my friend!

6.5 for all deer & foxes. 30 06 for boar & Africa. With modern reloading you can stoke or download as you wish. I load my 6.5x55 with 52 grains of N560 which gives me 3100 fps with 130 grain bullets (270 performance) or I can load it with v gentle loads at 2200 fps for minimal meat damage with 160 grain bullets (303 performance). I can also load 95 gr varmint bullets at 3300 fps for foxes which are dead flat & devastating on foxes. The 30 06 can be loaded with similar variations with bullets from 125 grains to 220 grains. I would choose a fast twist.

I have to say 7mm08, firstly cos I shoot one lol . But in reallity it is the best round going right now for the real shooter. I have shot fox, muntjac, roe and fallow with mine and she is a beast drops everything in its tracks. Factory rounds are available and Kranks over in Leeds do the cheap privi partisan if you don't reload. I get up to York often so if you fancy a shot with mine let me know.

Is Africa a pipe dream or reality? I had to ask myself the same thing. I would use a 300WSM in Africa but by the time I got there I would be needing a new barrel with amount of stalking I do in this country. I will get more enjoyment out of my 7mm08 than a 300WSM in that time.

You can then save for a smaller fox rifle such as a lovely .204 ruger howa.

Where abouts in York are you. I moved away 10 years ago and visit regular. Can't believe the roe population increase since I left. I was in Escrick.

regards

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by scotch_egg View Post
    I have to say 7mm08, firstly cos I shoot one lol . But in reallity it is the best round going right now for the real shooter. I have shot fox, muntjac, roe and fallow with mine and she is a beast drops everything in its tracks. Factory rounds are available and Kranks over in Leeds do the cheap privi partisan if you don't reload. I get up to York often so if you fancy a shot with mine let me know.

Is Africa a pipe dream or reality? I had to ask myself the same thing. I would use a 300WSM in Africa but by the time I got there I would be needing a new barrel with amount of stalking I do in this country. I will get more enjoyment out of my 7mm08 than a 300WSM in that time.

You can then save for a smaller fox rifle such as a lovely .204 ruger howa.

Where abouts in York are you. I moved away 10 years ago and visit regular. Can't believe the roe population increase since I left. I was in Escrick.

regards

Dave
    Thanks for all the responses so far and to answer your question the African hunting will be happening it may not be for 5 years or so but it will as it is something that like the reds, both me and my farther have wanted to do but I am building up to it (roe last year, reds this year, boar with any luck in 2011/12) I am on the harrogate side of york and on our 600 acre farm we have (or had) a nice stable population. At the start of april i came across a group of 13 roe i believe it was (6 bucks and 7 does?!?!) around the back of one of our woods so that seems a decent number to me? but unfortunately i fear there may have been dog men or poachers on them as i have not seen nearly as many in recent month (could be getting shot in a bit of forestry who knows) its a shame as at the start of april coming out of velvet there was some good looking 6 pointers among them. If you are from escrick way you will appreciate how flat the land is around us and why i am draw towards a smaller calibre for use around me with a bigger one to be selective on the deer.

George

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...mark-in-.25-06

Just seen this rifle, I have also used a 25-06 on all deer. Great flat shooting round. I used 115gr noslers on everything including fox. This rifle is a bargain. One of the best actions ever produced.

Quote Originally Posted by scotch_egg View Post
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...mark-in-.25-06

Just seen this rifle, I have also used a 25-06 on all deer. Great flat shooting round. I used 115gr noslers on everything including fox. This rifle is a bargain. One of the best actions ever produced.
    One little problem in a lefty and was after a left handed rifle i stupidly let a mauser 25-06 go in left handed about two months ago but at the time i wasn't sure as i didn't have a slot or know much about the round.

George

One thing is for certain there is no shooting off a bi-pod on ground level.......

Lefty hey, don't let that put you off. I'm a righty and was after a lefty at one point but couldn't get what I wanted. I find its easier to save my brass.

The roe will herd up in winter, don't worry to much. We do get a lot of dog men in York a right royal PITA. Take the rough with the smooth.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/091014132938001

Try this mate.

If you do a search on guntrader you'll be amazed at what you can find for less than 600 in the .270.

Its all down to personal preference, you will get 101 different views as everybody has "the right" rifle.

Personally I use a .270, Remington do a 100gr bullet for your foxes, roe ect or you can go up to 150gr for use on rutting stags if it makes you feel more comfortable. (the 110gr ballistic tip from Norma does EVERYTHING)
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!