Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 100-150 yd fox rifle calibre

100-150 yd fox rifle calibre

Hi Guys I currently use a 22 WMR for short range foxing and a 222 for distance

looking to get a calibre something in between ( if there is anything else &#128580 Only reason I ask, I've tried the good old hornet, looking for something that would resist an exit wound but still have a good terminal energy

.204 .17 cf perhaps I've never shot any of these two any info would be appreciated or any other calibers you used

cheers

phil

You will find it hard to better the .222rem for foxes, just choose the right bullet. So why waste money buying another rifle.
    Why are you concerned about exit wounds?
    Last edited by 8x57; 08-07-2016 at 06:28.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Agree with above, 204 will exit even with blitzkings.

You want something to shoot only at one range? Does this mean you will be carrying 3 rifles in and selecting which one to use based on the range?
    The .222 should make the .22WRM redundant unless it is a rabbit at 50m and you want meat. Even then the .22 Mag tends to bruise badly.
    The .204 is a replacement for a .222 and the .17 Rem Mag likewise. I had a mate who shot foxes for skins and his experience with the .17 was short but not sweet. Sometimes they stayed inside but other times at the same range blew a huge hole in the pelt. He sold it and now uses a .223 with FMJ and head shots only.
    Last edited by hybridfiat; 08-07-2016 at 06:36.

Hybridflat, your friend didn't bother to find a suitable bullet for his 17 (I presume you mean a .17 Rem as the 17 Rem Mag doesn't exist). You can hardly condemn the calibre for that.
    I've shot plenty of foxes with 25 grain Berger and Starke bullets. Exits are rare.

I don't know what he used, I only heard the complaints. He is the kind of enthusiast who has about 6 different loads/bullets for every rifle. Not my bag I stick to one. I've not shot with him for a while. Yes it is the .17 based on the .222 Rem Mag case. I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    You will find it hard to better the .222rem for foxes, just choose the right bullet. So why waste money buying another rifle.
    Why are you concerned about exit wounds?
    the WMR is perfect out to hundred on foxes all day can't fault it, it's been the perfect short range fox calibre, used this calibre for years and still will.

222. I use out to 250 with ease, my Wehrauch 222 is permanently with NV as I have another in a blaser barrel for the R8 pro which I use for munties and Canada geese on a day scope, I like the 222 as its a faultless round and accuracy is brilliant, reloading it is a walk in the park

i control a lot of geese with 222 but use HP non tox ammo on some areas

Ive no real experience of the 17 or 204, friend of mine is looking for a 222 and I'll probably let the weihrauch go to him and that leaves me with an empty slot, hence I'm looking to have a possible change of a rifle if I can find a calibre to fit the bill, I try to fit the calibre to the range and resist that toooooo much gun syndrome, if I could find a calibre that kills foxes / geese out to 150 ish without having to pick up the pieces so to speak, I have 308, 6.5 x 55 222. 22WMR and reload the 6.5 and 222, so another calibre in between would be desirable if it fits the bill.

any recommendations

cheers

phil

.22 hornet with 35 grain V max, dead fox out to 200 and no exit would on body shots, even at short range.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    .22 hornet with 35 grain V max, dead fox out to 200 and no exit would on body shots, even at short range.

Neil.
    hi Neil
    what range have you zeroed on with 22 hornet, I had one a few years ago ( it was a converted rook rifle ) it didn't really hit the button at 150. It may have been the rifle due to age etc, I couldn't get it to shoot less than a inch group at a hundred yds so that was as far as it went on foxes or shorter, that was on factory loads

phil

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    Hi Guys I currently use a 22 WMR for short range foxing and a 222 for distance

looking to get a calibre something in between ( if there is anything else &#128580 Only reason I ask, I've tried the good old hornet, looking for something that would resist an exit wound but still have a good terminal energy

.204 .17 cf perhaps I've never shot any of these two any info would be appreciated or any other calibers you used

cheers

phil
    sounds like you already have two

I have the same
    the WMR was my go to golf club rifle for foxes
    usually inside 120yds
    had a couple that made it more than 10 yds which was unacceptable where I was shooting...(10yds is a back garden in many cases)
    I went .222 for energy not range but also it doubles as my roe rifle
    get some 40-50gr Vmax or SBK.
    well placed chest shots won't usually exit
    you will always get exits with any round if you shoot enough