Any good recipes for the above.

I read one somewhere which I think said add sugar after a few months ,
    Thanks.

I've done sloe whisky , can't comment on strawberry

1lb sloes, pricked / burst skin
    100grms golden castor sugar
    1ltr blend whisky

In jar & seal for 6 months

The above recipe works for any soft fruit, you may find you need a little less sugar depending on how sweet the fruit you are using and personal taste, turn the jars every couple of days until sugar stops collecting in the bottom of the jar.

Should add I have never used castor sugar, just the ordinary every day stuff.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 08-07-2016 at 08:43.

Also with the gin it's good to stick a bit of vanilla pod in last month or so ....
    Whatever you do label & write the recipe on it because if you happen to hit the taste bud nirvana you want to know / remember what you did !

Paul

SD Regular
    Here's my recipe:

Strawberries, cream, sugar. wash and de-stalk strawberries. Place in bowl. Add cream then a dusting of sugar. Eat.
    Whisky. Place in glass. Add water to taste. Drink.

In other words it's like Stilton cheese and port. Can be enjoyed together...but please, apart, and never, never, ever mixed together...

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Here's my recipe:

Strawberries, cream, sugar. wash and de-stalk strawberries. Place in bowl. Add cream then a dusting of sugar. Eat.
    Whisky. Place in glass. Add water to taste. Drink.

In other words it's like Stilton cheese and port. Can be enjoyed together...but please, apart, and never, never, ever mixed together...
    Sorry don't agree, sloe whisky,blaeberry (blueberry) whisky, bramble whisky all superb , non of which I would want to drink to excess but great in a hip flask to pass round on a shoot day, or after a successful stalk on the hill.

The penny has dropped.

Its a way of making average whisky taste fine. That I can understand. Will give it a go. Bramble sounds good for a first bash. How long does it need? Does it have to have sugar/ is it meant to be sweet like a Drambuie etc?
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

Would it not be better with gin? I've tried sloe gin and sloe whisky - the gin one was, for me, the better one. Rhubarb gin is really nice, raspberry gin is very good (and raspberry vodka, using some paint-stripper that I won on a bottle stall, was not that bad).
    The rhubarb gin recipe is in the Dianna Henry book, I think:
    https://www.amazon.com/Salt-Sugar-Sm.../dp/1845336755
    It's made pretty much the same way as any other gin+fruit recipe.

Strawberry whisky

Honestly bramble or sloe whisky is beautiful , on its own over ice , or tall glass & bit of tonic on a warm day at a BBQ with venison burger in other hand at a BBQ .
    Jock , longer the better but a Kilner type jar out of asda or like with hinged lid and a seal works .
    6 months I do them for ...
    Sugar is down to taste .... You dont have to but a wee bit is good
    I'll leave a wee touch of something next time I'm at Malcolm's for you ... Just hope he doesnae drink it !

Secret is to remember do a batch every few weeks so that once a bottles done ... You always have another ready

Em,.... Pic below is what wife found In cupboards when we're getting ready to move home last year .... Some had been 18 months "brewing"
    Nice wee stash various flavored gin vodka & whisky
    Oh ... Cherry brandy is damn fine too

Paul
    Last edited by sauer; 08-07-2016 at 13:51.

Sauer

Looks like you've been busy there - must have been a nice housewarming!

I've some brambles and goosegogs in the freezer that will be put to good use. The hard part, I imagine, is the waiting.......

Cheers
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.