Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zeroing a PCP air rifle

Zeroing a PCP air rifle

What distance do you zero your rifle at? Is 25yrds a good starting point or shod it be longer?

What calibre, what pellets? Dialling or point and shoot?
    i zero my 177 shooting Bisley magnums bang on at 33 yds, gives me a solid 45-50yds with a smidge of hold

dowload chairgun for free, good tool

Depends how long your garden is

25 yards is a good starting point. My daughter's PCP is zeroed at 30 paces, which is the length of our lawn.

Sorry .22, air arms 16gr pellets. Point and shoot at rats and squirrels if that helps.

12ft lbs .22 daystayte I zero at 35 yards.

28ft lbs FAC Air Arms .22 I zero at 55 yards.

Both using Air Arms Field 16 grain pellets.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post

Alan
    thanks Alan that's really helpful.

You should zero at what you think will be your typical average shot distance with that rifle on your ground.
    My kitchen window to the bird feeder is 38 yards , so I have set my PCP air rifle to be on zero at 38 yards! To take on the grey squirrels, btw, not birds.

Same principle applies to any rifle zeroing distance: Rimfire (rabbits, fox:.17HMR zero at 70 yards) and fox/deer rifle (.243 WIN zero at 60 Yards) and other deer rifle (.308 red dot at 50 yards)
    I never get the logic of those who suggest you should zero 1 " high or 1 " low at a given distance. Keep things simple, and logical.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post

Alan

That's interesting that you're able to use the same pellets for the different power levels.
    My daughter's air-rifle is currently running at exactly 12ft lbs, and is spot on using accu-pel. (Not sure of the weight).
    However, it can be wound up to FAC levels (not that I would dream of doing such a thing, of course.... ) which, although I've not chronographed it at high power, gives it sufficient oomph to punch through a 1" thick target at 60m. But if using the same pellets they distort and go all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    That's interesting that you're able to use the same pellets for the different power levels.
    My daughter's air-rifle is currently running at exactly 12ft lbs, and is spot on using accu-pel. (Not sure of the weight).
    However, it can be wound up to FAC levels (not that I would dream of doing such a thing, of course.... ) which, although I've not chronographed it at high power, gives it sufficient oomph to punch through a 1" thick target at 60m. But if using the same pellets they distort and go all over the place.
    When I first bought the Daystate I found that the old Wasps and the Bisley Pest Control pellets did not work well with the flat end of the bolt pin. They were tapered internally. The Air Arms Field have a flat bottomed recess in the back which meant there was less chance of pushing it in skew. Then I bought the Air Arms S410 FAC Extra and the same situation pertained...but this time they were also the pellets recommended as being stable for the higher power.

Alan

SD Regular
    It depends on if the thing is to kill animals or to shoot HFT competitions. If it's HFT there's loads of info on "the net" about optimum ranges and optimum 'scope settimgs. If it's for killing animals in a back garden then as EH says your typical range. Mine was twenty-two yards for squirrels as that's the distance they usually were at.