Lab casting hair

tattie

Hi All,
I have a young lab bitch just over 13 months old.

She lives in the house with us and seems to constantly be shedding hair, not just a few here and there. It just seems to me to be more than I would expect.

There are no bald patches on her but I am wondering if this is natural or is there something lacking in her diet.

At the end of February this year she had her first season and this was followed after that by a phantom pregnancy (confirmed by vet).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

A.M.

after a real pregnancy my labs "blow" their coats due to a hormone change not bald patchs but real thinning soon grows back over a month or so !
hope that helps
Norma

Our lab lost hair like there was no tomorrow, you could brush him, vacuum him, bath him and still it came out. He never ran out of hair though.

Our yellow dog sheds constantly!!!! It's just what yellow labs do apparently. I grew up with black bitches, and there was a loud THWACK twice a year when they moulted, and that was it for 6 months

Living in the house causes dogs to shed all the time I think. Nice and warm, no real need for a thick coat

Living in the house causes dogs to shed all the time I think. Nice and warm, no real need for a thick coat
My old girl has retired into the house i use to have a wood floor but now soon as I turn round it looks like I have a black carpet

We got a brush recommended it called a furminator , yellow handled thing with metal teeth that strips loose hair deep ... Meant to use only couple times a week .... But don't pay 40 odd quid asked for them , get them half price on eBay .... Wow it cleans them up ! Do it outside !

I also like to give her a run down the beach get her into the water to help get rid of lose hair ...

Paul

We got a brush recommended it called a furminator , yellow handled thing with metal teeth that strips loose hair deep ... Meant to use only couple times a week .... But don't pay 40 odd quid asked for them , get them half price on eBay .... Wow it cleans them up ! Do it outside !

I also like to give her a run down the beach get her into the water to help get rid of lose hair ...

Paul
don't over use these can cause cysts to form if over vigorous ie pulling alive hair not moulting hair

I'm a firm believer that a regular swim in sea water is good for all sorts of skin problems in dogs, but it's probably the warm environment that is causing 'your problem'.

Yup was told only couple times a week ...& gently ... Very good tho scary how much it removes

The consensus is right - as long as there are no bald, crusty or bleeding patches in the skin, don't worry. Furminator or zoom groom, plus a good swim/bath all help. All my labs cast, the flattie didn't to such an extent.

My black lab' bitch is a couple of days from whelping and she's only now stopped shedding. I think her hormones went mental a couple of weeks ago as the wooden floors looked as though they growing fur! :eek:

My old lab is now in the house, she lived in the kennel until she was 6, and there was never a problem (even though she would come into the kitchen for a couple of hours in the evening, then go out).....since I brought her in permanently
, she is in constant moult ! All my dogs have done that.....guess they re just designed to live outside !

Back