Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox Snare

Fox Snare

A friend of mine has a fox that is regularly taking the occasional chicken and duck but last week it took one of his breeding geese. I've shot a few foxes for him, general calling, waiting out and stalking but this one seems to be very elusive and doesn't stick to a particular routine.

With th a young family and full time job I can't dedicate enough hours a week to waiting out for it at the moment and what with him running a campsite on his farm I'm also limited to only the .22lr for noise reasons.

with this in mind I'd like to set a snare or two in some places I know it frequents as I can spare 15 mins twice a day to check them but just not the time to wait out until I get it. I've seen some online and they're about 20 for 10 so not too expensive. Really I'd only want a couple and if it works out then I'll look to get more for other places that are tricky to shoot.

So so down to the brass tacks so to speak, is there anyone on here who would sell me just a couple from their existing stock to get me started and maybe spare 10 minutes for a phone call to let me know any tips and secrets (I've read as much as I can but nothing like some real experience) or even better someone in Sussex who I could pop over and see, buy a couple and have a chat about techniques?

Thanks in advance

Hi if i were you i would buy the 10 because if your checking 2 then its not much more time to check 10 if you put them in runs/likely spots in a loop from your motor round to back to your motor, and you've increased your chances of getting it somewhat.
    Hopefully someone local to you will offer to come and show you the ropes i would if i was closer, just be sure to read up on the legalities of snareing.

Good luck with it

Thanks for the reply. You do make a good point and I think I will eventually get more if I manage to get the hang of them and they work well. I was hoping more to meet or chat with someone more experienced,start with a couple and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    Thanks for the reply. You do make a good point and I think I will eventually get more if I manage to get the hang of them and they work well. I was hoping more to meet or chat with someone more experienced,start with a couple and go from there.
    No worries & totally agree, hopefully theres someone on here that can help you out.

Atb

Get a cage trap and place it inside the hen house pop hole.

Ask one of the local keepers to show you, also get a copy of the best practice guide for snaring

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    Get a cage trap and place it inside the hen house pop hole.
    The fox has taken most the birds during daylight hours, the recent goose was around lunchtime and was free range (well in the garden on the lawn).

Unfortunately I've never been a shotgun shooter so don't have any contacts with local shoots but I will ask about via a few friends and see if they will be able to pass on my details and get some advice that way.

Hi Nun_hunter

Have a look at this video it might help,

Cheers Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    The fox has taken most the birds during daylight hours,
    It will almost certainly also be around at night.

Thanks for the video Geoff it was really helpful.