Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe valuation - please help!

Lathe valuation - please help!

Hi all

I have a Record Power DML/24 lathe, with a couple of bits and pieces, and being someone who knows NOTHING about lathes I'd like to ask for some help regarding what its value may be? I've taken a picture, it's a bit rubbish as it is leaning up in the shed but apart from being dusty it seems in reasonably good nic (I'm told it works perfectly although I haven't tried myself). There is also a picture of some random bits that came with it. Being no expert I don't know whether or not there's anything missing, I'm sure there should be some kind of 'rod' down the middle but don't know?! Anyway, any help very much appreciated!!

Many thanks Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	72072Click image for larger version. 

Views:	116 
Size:	415.7 KB 
ID:	72073

Hi Skinner, there's a similar wood turner on ebay for 175. Yours just looks like it's covered in dust from the pic so I'd be looking at that price as a good starting point

Provided it is in working order I`ll give you 100 and I`ll pick it up Saturday 16th of July in the morning.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

200 drop to 170, nothing less. Drive a hard bargain and people will be happy its worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by kes View Post
    200 drop to 170, nothing less. Drive a hard bargain and people will be happy its worth it.
    You may well be right in your valuation. I`m happy to pay a bit more but ..
    A. It`s not postable and
    B. Is it in working order?
    And C. I`ve wanted one for years!
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by .Skinner. View Post
    Hi all

I have a Record Power DML/24 lathe, with a couple of bits and pieces, and being someone who knows NOTHING about lathes I'd like to ask for some help regarding what its value may be? I've taken a picture, it's a bit rubbish as it is leaning up in the shed but apart from being dusty it seems in reasonably good nic (I'm told it works perfectly although I haven't tried myself). There is also a picture of some random bits that came with it. Being no expert I don't know whether or not there's anything missing, I'm sure there should be some kind of 'rod' down the middle but don't know?! Anyway, any help very much appreciated!!

Many thanks Click image for larger version. 

Views:	153 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	72072Click image for larger version. 

Views:	116 
Size:	415.7 KB 
ID:	72073

Just Google the make then pick a middle of the road price from what come up. The long bolt will be a draw bar at a guess.

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Gumtree has a few and only 100 for one so Basil wasn't far off the mark

I've got one of those, and I find it just fine. They don't seem popular with "experienced" turners though for some reason. Nice solid machine I think.

It's a good starter kit if you get into it you'll out grow it,but well worth 150 picked up

It's a lovely little machine. Basic but well made. I had one in my school workshop which was abused by a stream of overenthusiastic teenagers for five years. Apart from a bit of paint chipping it was as good as the day it was installed when I left. 100 - 150 seems about right for a machine that cannot be tested and that has no provenance to me.

HTH