Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for scope suggestions/advice for starting long range

Looking for scope suggestions/advice for starting long range

I'm looking to put together a rifle for longer range target work and possibly competitions later this year. Most likely a Ruger Precision in 6.5 creed more. I shoot to 600 yards currently but want to take that out to 1000 yards as I get better. Before then, I'm going to get a new scope so that I can do load development on my stalking rifle. Seems reasonable to get something for target work now and move to the other rifle when I get it. The stalking rifle wears a 4 or 6 power fixed scope (Pecar) which isn't really up to the job of sighting in accurately enough for load development.

Have a budget of up to £1000, needs to be new as it's a business expense. I want FFP, mil reticle and turrets. Currently I can get the Bushnell 3.5-20 ERS with G2 reticle just within budget, or the Sightron S3 6-24 for a little less but with only a mil hash reticle. Any others you would recommend or suggest I look at or comments on these two lenses?

Thanks.

SD Regular
    The Bushnell is getting something of a following as a newer entrant to the market. I would seriously consider IOR. There was an offer recently on a 6-24 variant bringing it into your budget - but the 3.5-18 is also a very capable scope.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I looked at the IOR, but the SFP is the one below my price limit, the FFP is a couple hundred higher, I've already upped my limit and can't really go higher. It's always tempting to keep pushing up though.

scratch that, the 3-18 is just in my range. Hmmmm

Vortex PST.
    Is there a time and place for spontaneity?

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kernel gadaffi View Post
    Vortex PST.
    Excellent call - should have been on my list. The IOR edges it on glass quality, but it's a fine scope.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Vortex PST , great scope..

Also look at Minox and Trijicon as both in budget
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

If you are looking for a scope purely for long range target shooting have a look at Fox Firearms Home - Fox Firearms They have gained something of a reputation for importing and selling reasonable quality scopes at bargain prices which you should be able to confirm by searching target shooting related websites. They have also gained a reputation for straight dealing and have a shop on Diggle ranges near Manchester.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I looked at the PST, it was on my original list, along with the bushnell 6-24 ERS. I was reading a fair number of stories of issues with them failing, although the warranty is very good. I thought pushing up the price range to £1k would move me into better quality but perhaps not.