Countryfile again

User00025

For some silly reason (probably to see the weeks weather) I switched it on, having not looked at it for months.
Do the BBC really think that this programme is about our countryside.
It featured some new and totally unaware young lady doing channel swimming and later (of all things) watching and enthusing about the return of various corvids including magpies to the wild.
As any person with a grain of sense knows,each magpie will probably dispose of thousands of songbird nestlings and eggs in it's lifetime. A pal of mine has a call bird/decoy that is 14 years old,so they live a long time. Why does a supposedly reputable TV company, film and favour so much that desecrates our rapidly declining songbird species in both this and the Springwatch series.
I have now made new house rules, BBC is no longer a TV channel to watch whilst it films and approves of so much Tripe. :doh:

The only way BBC or other media organizations will change is by receiving enough direct complaints & suggestions - a bit like politicians. If you feel so strongly about this write to Points of View or whatever their complaints dept is nowadays.
I agree that their content is often wrong & misguided - they certainly need to be put right.
To make it work many people would need to make similar comments to them to make them sit up & take note.

Ian

In fairness to the BBC I have in the past complained about a couple of things and they have responded back to me with what they intended to do and what they were going to say to the person involved. Whether or not it actually changed anything, who knows, but it made me feel less grumpy!

Far better to hit them in the wallet and not pay a tv license, I know most will not be able to tear themselves away from the goggle box unfortunately.

For some silly reason (probably to see the weeks weather) I switched it on, having not looked at it for months.
Do the BBC really think that this programme is about our countryside.
It featured some new and totally unaware young lady doing channel swimming and later (of all things) watching and enthusing about the return of various corvids including magpies to the wild.
As any person with a grain of sense knows,each magpie will probably dispose of thousands of songbird nestlings and eggs in it's lifetime. A pal of mine has a call bird/decoy that is 14 years old,so they live a long time. Why does a supposedly reputable TV company, film and favour so much that desecrates our rapidly declining songbird species in both this and the Springwatch series.
I have now made new house rules, BBC is no longer a TV channel to watch whilst it films and approves of so much Tripe. :doh:

On the whole I don't disagree with your comments.
A small point, if a Maggie makes it past three years round my way it's in overtime and won't be around the following year.
So the fact your pal has a 14yr old bird I don't disagree with, but I would say captives are longer lived than free ones.

I suppose the best way forward would be to challenge the Beeb and RSPB to put in a live cam on a maggie's nest and also film the bird over a year to make a documentary about the species or even Springwatch - oh that would be a good one
Then everyone could see what the maggies bring home to the young.

well if it makes you feel any better I've lessened the magpie population this week by 7.
The young ones are good to catch at the moment and mum and dad can't resist to follow!:)

What do you expect from the BBC who can change one of the worlds leading motoring shows and turn it into a joke ?

It's wrong. But in programmes like Countryfile, the BBC are actually providing a picture of the countryside that the vast majority of the population see and want to see. This is because the vast majority live in cities and large towns.

Their experiences of the countryside generally are driving along country lanes looking at fields of crops swaying in the wind, or sheep and cows living satisfying lives until old age in lush fields of grass, going to visitor centres to buy country products such as jam, pickles, bits of wood whittled into animal shapes and swanning about on a boat on Lake Windermere or somewhere. It's also a place where it's always summer, because they only visit it in the summer.

Struggling hill farmers who lose sheep to foxes or severe weather, abattoirs that provide the meat for their tables, culling of deer to keep the population both healthy and in control, game shoots, suicides amongst broken farmers, the lack of amenities such as shops, healthcare, police, public transport, banks and so on in the countryside don't count.

Those that inhabit the countryside will always be in the minority. Hence programmes like Countryfile.

It's wrong. But in programmes like Countryfile, the BBC are actually providing a picture of the countryside that the vast majority of the population see and want to see. This is because the vast majority live in cities and large towns.

Their experiences of the countryside generally are driving along country lanes looking at fields of crops swaying in the wind, or sheep and cows living satisfying lives until old age in lush fields of grass, going to visitor centres to buy country products such as jam, pickles, bits of wood whittled into animal shapes and swanning about on a boat on Lake Windermere or somewhere. It's also a place where it's always summer, because they only visit it in the summer.

Struggling hill farmers who lose sheep to foxes or severe weather, abattoirs that provide the meat for their tables, culling of deer to keep the population both healthy and in control, game shoots, suicides amongst broken farmers, the lack of amenities such as shops, healthcare, police, public transport, banks and so on in the countryside don't count.

Those that inhabit the countryside will always be in the minority. Hence programmes like Countryfile.

I lost you at the "struggling hill farmers" bit, if you went to Bentham/Hawes/Kirkby Stephen markets and saw the brand new pick ups disco's and range rover sports that bring the sheep that a big percentage off go abroad, if you knew that most are on tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds of grant hand outs you'd may be change your mind, the hill farmers around the estate I work on are a bloody disgrace!! When ever I speak to other keeper mates it's the same story, the hill farming situation is a national disgrace, I agree with the rest of your post though.

Back