Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako 75 .223

Sako 75 .223

I thought there was a website that you could look up an individual rifles details such as barrel length, twist rate etc. if you had the serial number, in this case its a Sako 75 action1 in .223 Serial#: 243392.

Can't locate this site so i'm guessing I need to contact Sako directly?

TIA

Martin

Try Sako.fi

Data sheets are in there in PDF form I think.

What is it you need to know?
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Try Sako.fi

Data sheets are in there in PDF form I think.

What is it you need to know?
    Hi CD the crucial thing really is the twist rate (so I can look at ammo) and the barrel length, I guess if it asn't been shortened it'll be 24"?

The rifle is a few miles from me so not possible to check

cleaning rod
    do both at the same time to be sure
    bolt closed rod down muzzle, measure to rod at crown.

create a flag of tape at the handle end of the rod (assuming it has a rotating handle)
    use a brush on the rod, insert into rifling, mark rod at back of receiver as the start point
    push rod in until flag has done one full turn, mark rod at back of breech, measure
    repeat at least 10 times, take an average

as much as they may be listed as a certain twist, I certainly have a factory barrel that is slightly longer in twist (14.5":1)
    no idea how

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    cleaning rod
    do both at the same time to be sure
    bolt closed rod down muzzle, measure to rod at crown.

create a flag of tape at the handle end of the rod (assuming it has a rotating handle)
    use a brush on the rod, insert into rifling, mark rod at back of receiver as the start point
    push rod in until flag has done one full turn, mark rod at back of breech, measure
    repeat at least 10 times, take an average

as much as they may be listed as a certain twist, I certainly have a factory barrel that is slightly longer in twist (14.5":1)
    no idea how
    Hi Ed, i'd rather do this myself when I see the rifle (no disrespect to the gun dealer) I just wanted to see the stats beforehand if possible and no they don't have these details . (Don't ask )

I would imagine 1-12" or 1-8" for later models.
    I believe that the sporter barreled models have a 56cm barrel, varmints 60cm.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    I thought there was a website that you could look up an individual rifles details such as barrel length, twist rate etc. if you had the serial number, in this case its a Sako 75 action1 in .223 Serial#: 243392.

Can't locate this site so i'm guessing I need to contact Sako directly?

TIA

Martin
    Sorry to disappoint, but I don’t believe such a source exists.

The Sako 75 series shared the same set of serial numbers as the Tikka M595/M695 models which were produced from about the year 2000. Whichever rifle make came next off the production line, be it Tikka or Sako, was allocated the next serial number in the numbering sequence. Your serial no. is within a block of common serial numbers from 204401 to 243752 appearing on new Tikka (& Sako) rifles on Guntrader in the period from November 2003 - August 2004.

These would have been distributed by GMK who took over the sole agency. This is a window of ten months advertised sales so is approximate, but it won’t be far out. GMK might help with an exact date if this matters, but I suspect it doesn’t.

I was stocking up with Tikka rifles in LH at the time, so was keeping track of all the numbers. The Sako 75 was available in Lefthand but only in long action cals .25-06 to .30-06 at almost double the price of Tikka LH’s. It didn’t sell, which is no surprise.

Regardless of all this, the only twist in .223 for both Tikka & Sako rifles of that era was 1:12”. The option of a faster 1:8” twist only came in with the later Tikka T3 & Sako models launched from 2005 - really some years further on in the production cycle – 2008 or thereabouts? The first of the T3’s had a new ‘40nnnn’ serial number sequence started, which is now exhausted. These earlier Tikka T3’s and their Sako stable mates will also be in the standard 1:12” twist too.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Ok thanks for those replies, i've found out the year of manufacture was 2002 so Sinistral it would appear to be a 1-12?

Thanks again,

Martin

They were first made as 1-12 and the barrel wasn't marked with that info. When they brought out the 1-8 the barrel is stamper .223 Rem 1-8 Twist. Then when they did both twists they also stamped that on the tube.

So no stamp means 1-12
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Thanks Rob, so given that information and assuming its a 60cm barrel (thanks Border) what is the lightest round it would stabilise.