Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: first shotgun for youngster

first shotgun for youngster

Hello guys I have a nine year old and am looking at getting a light weight shotgun for him and was wondering what ye would recommend either 12bore or 20bore

410 or 20 gauge

28 gauge would be the best option. 12 or 20 gauges are non starters for a 9 year old! My son is nearly 12 and big for his age. He's only just in to small 20 gauge territory! If your son is big enough for a 20 gauge at 9 years old he's destined for a career as a basketball or rugby player!
    Last edited by baguio; 11-07-2016 at 19:39.

Canterbury, Kent and Johannesburg, South Africa
    What a great present and introduction to our wonderful sport.

Agreed. I think 12 would probably be too much. I gave both my boys a 20 bore at 13.

A lot depends on how big he is for his age. He needs something he can handle both in terms of gun fit and recoil. The last thing you want is to put him off with something too violent and that won't be a pleasure to shoot.

If he can handle a 20 I'd say that would be ideal and, with 'normal' chokes, a bit more forgiving in terms of pellet spread/ broken clays. Encouragement and visible results are key at that age.

Jonathan

Most modern 410's are built on the same frame as the 20 bore versions and end up weighing more than the 20 bore version. My 11 year old shoots a Yildiz 20 bore youth model using 21gm cartridges and has no problems.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

+ 1 for the 28 bore

28 bores are great but availability and cost of cartridges should be looked into beforehand
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    Most modern 410's are built on the same frame as the 20 bore versions and end up weighing more than the 20 bore version. My 11 year old shoots a Yildiz 20 bore youth model using 21gm cartridges and has no problems.
    I agree the Yildiz 20 combined with the 21g load is what my son graduated to after starting off with 11g cartridges in an old .410 sb Cooey.

At 19g the 3" .410 load is just off the 20 bore 21 g which in turn is a lighter load than the 28 bore 24g load. Our local gunshop advised that there was a very narrow choice of 28b loads available, all more expensive than 20 b. You can also buy a spare adult size stock for the Yildiz if you wish to.

Quote Originally Posted by long_range_rob View Post
    Fine for an 11 year old but the OP is talking about a 9 year old. Huge difference!

Thanks for the replies. I'm 6ft in height and the tops of my son's head is near level to my shoulder. He has shot a 223 already. He also has a number of rabbits to his name already with my hmr. I was thinking 20 bore with light loads. Was going to borrow my friends sbs 20 bore and try him on that