importing bullet heads from the USA

griffshrek

hello again all

a quick question to anybody that can help.

i have been speaking someone in the USA that is willing to send bullet heads over by post. i contacted the DTI and they said no problem as long as they are only the bullet heads.

is it that simple or am i missing out on something ? i know about duty on the import stuff but it cant be that simple can it ....neil

...It MIGHT be that simple... For example: You do not need an import licence to import a rifle on your own FAC for your own use, it doesn't even need to be proofed if you go down that route (unless you sell it later).

It's worth clarifying with the DTI about expanding bullets.

You can import ALL tyes of bullet (heads) legally as long as any expanding cals are on your FAC and permission to purchase and hold conforms to the quantity ordered.

The law says expanding bullets must be a face to cface transaction and must not be posted. That law relates to UK citizens not US citizens. It is an offence to post in the UK not to receive in the post from the US

thanks all i forgot to post the outcome, my firearms dept said no problems as long as i only purchase the ammo that i am entitled to on my FAC , the DTI only concern was i dont purchase ammo from some banned countries(usa ok) .

i ordered the heads and 7 days later they arrived i saved 50% on what i would of payed in the uk. i will us this method again................neil

You can import ALL tyes of bullet (heads) legally as long as any expanding cals are on your FAC and permission to purchase and hold conforms to the quantity ordered.

The law says expanding bullets must be a face to cface transaction and must not be posted. That law relates to UK citizens not US citizens. It is an offence to post in the UK not to receive in the post from the US

I know this is an old old thread but has anyone got any information regarding this? Just to prove that if any questions are asked I can direct them to the relevent law etc.

Are there still people in the US willing to ship outside of the US? I thought that the tightening of regulations on their side was making this impossible as they would need some crazy export licence or something. However, am all ears if someone has done this recently and made it work.

Does anyone know how much .22 35g v-max do you get to the lbs ?? :eek: excellent news though, thank's for the information !!

That thread sites here as reference.

I think there was a chap on here some time back, my feeling is that he was an FEO and he left here under a cloud in some way, who posted a thread on importing bullets from the US. He detailed exactly why it could be done. Can't remember his user name now but I have a strange feeling that all his posts were deleted on his departure. Will see if I can search them out.

I bought some stuff and some dies from cliff in USA recently and he sent them in the usual cardboard box that is quite commonly used.
His note inside said that he had packed them and found that to include the Die Box would mean using the next size up box and would cost a lot more.
He then said that he would use the die boxes to send, when I order some, bullets as they fit in and pack nicely in the standard cardboard box.
So not only is he willing but it appears that he does send bullets to UK quite often.

He certainly does, I've bought bullets from him, that was last year, so it was cost of bullets plus postage and packaging, which if I remember rightly, was $13:57, add the two to-gether, divide total by 1.47 and it will give you a rough estimate what it will be in UK Pounds.

looked at this, lets say you want some 130gn nosler partitions in .277.

UK - £30-32 per 50
cliffs - $34.75 (plus$13.75) = £30

if you add the inevitable customs rape it works out more than you would pay here for the same stuff in this case

Does anyone know the rules around bringing them into the country by car from say, La France?

Also, if you're visiting the US, might it then not be possible to buy F2F, then pop to the local PO and post to yourself here in the UK? what would you put on the customs label though to avoid the customs officers going mental when they see it?

Back