Thread: moderator cleaning

moderator cleaning

any one put me in the right direction lei moderator screw cap is stuck cant seem to turn it any one help as to get screw cap off cheers for your help

Quote Originally Posted by gooseman243 View Post
    any one put me in the right direction lei moderator screw cap is stuck cant seem to turn it any one help as to get screw cap off cheers for your help
    Is it the thread protector or the actual mod you are trying to screw off.. Which mod?

A hairdryer should help in either case. Get the component as warm as you can, then use a piece of cloth or cord and a wooden spoon handle (or similar) to improvise a strap wrench. You'll get a lot of leverage that way, and won't risk scratching either the barrel or mod'
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by gooseman243 View Post

is it meant to be removable?

some new mods are non strippable

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    is it meant to be removable?

some new mods are non strippable

bob.
    The Atech,for example,is designed to come apart in order that you can extend it, if required. The problem is aluminium will crack and crumble when subjected to high temperatures,so best left alone, Others are designed to come apart for cleaning (at last) but if not done on a regular basis will cease. Sometimes best to follow the manufacturers guidance.johnAttachment 72187

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlandsjohn View Post
    The Atech,for example,is designed to come apart in order that you can extend it, if required. The problem is aluminium will crack and crumble when subjected to high temperatures,so best left alone, Others are designed to come apart for cleaning (at last) but if not done on a regular basis will cease. Sometimes best to follow the manufacturers guidance.johnAttachment 72187
    good point J

I have both strippable and non strippable mods, and the non strippable ones do have small indents/rings that make you think they can be opened ? LEI and others do make mods from stainless that CANNOT be stripped, lets hope he has not tried to open a non opening one.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

As above, is the mod meant to be strippable?

Secondly, I've known some people led their mods gunk up to the point they needed submerging in an ultrasonic cleaner then stripping with the aid of some lubrication and heat etc.

Whatever you do, protect the finish if you are using pliars/grips etc.

hi lads its a lei mod got the screw cap off just working on the baffles in mod away to get some paraffin cheers for the replys