Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what age for first quarry ?

Last edited by Devil_Bri; 12-07-2016 at 23:50.

This would be a good place to start but I suspect you have realised that as you have edited your post!

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...mMUZ8YGz9tZthg

You have to make that decision on an individual basis. Children need to be old enough to understand the seriousness of taking life. The tradition age for a boy to enter manhood, and get his own first bow and arrows, and dagger, was twelve. That carried on to the age to receive a firearm. Some are mature enough to receive a firearm earlier. Ant that holds for hunting and taking game. If a boy, or girl, wants to go hunting, without a rifle or shotgun, as a companion, take them, and set a good example, because they are watching and absorbing. Then, when they want to carry a rifle, take them hunting small game, like squirrels, rabbits, crows and pigeons. Then move them up to foxes, as they earn the promotion, by passing up marginal shots, and making clean kills.

Some children will enjoy hunting, then maybe not take much game. Some will lose interest, because children have lots of interests, as they explore the world and become individuals. Some will enjoy shooting, but not hunting. Some will leave the sport and then return later.

I started shooting a .22 rifle at age five. My father took me hunting small game and birds when I was nine, and we moved from the city back to our farm. I got my own .22 age ten, a 16 gauge shotgun for Christmas at age eleven, bought my first handgun ( Webley revolver ) at age twelve, and my first centerfire ( .303 Jungle Carbine ) later that year, my first new rifle ( Remington 700 .30-06 ) at age seventeen. I gave my son his own .22 at age ten.

My little girl shot her first squirrel with a 410 bolt action shotgun age 3 years 10 months. She's now
    6 1/2 and has gone off pulling the trigger but still enjoys stalking with me and is very good working the lamp when out after fox or rabbit.
    ILB

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveBambi View Post
    My little girl shot her first squirrel with a 410 bolt action shotgun age 3 years 10 months. She's now
    6 1/2 and has gone off pulling the trigger but still enjoys stalking with me and is very good working the lamp when out after fox or rabbit.
    ILB
    I can't for the life of me understand why you daughter doesn't like 'pulling the trigger any more. We're you going for the Guinness book of records....

I was 5 maybe 6, I had the measles and my dad sat me out in the yard with a webly scot .22 air pistol to cheer me up and spotted a mixi rabbit the rest is history

At least you got over your measles wull

I started in my teens with a mod 27 Dianna. I hate to recall what i shot with that old springer, probably get me locked up by today's standards.Wood pigeon breast were certainly a favourite at our table...

Quote Originally Posted by Highlandsjohn View Post
    At least you got over your measles wull

I started in my teens with a mod 27 Dianna. I hate to recall what i shot with that old springer, probably get me locked up by today's standards.Wood pigeon breast were certainly a favourite at our table...
    lol aye I did john, then its started me faking other illnesses to get a few days off the school again

Quote Originally Posted by skywull View Post
    lol aye I did john, then its started me faking other illnesses to get a few days off the school again
    Now that does sound familiar...

My dad bought me a Winchester 22 rifle the day I was born. I'm told I shot it when I was two. The first animal I remember shooting was a porcupine at around 5 years old. When I was seven I was let alone in the woods to shoot squirrels... and my dad always wondered why I never wanted to go fishing unless I was out of Super-X twenty-twos. One time, at the ripe age of eight, I told him that fishing was like hunting in the dark. I still feel that way! ~Muir