Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Sensible approach to DSC2/FAC or not?

  1. #1

    Sensible approach to DSC2/FAC or not?

    As above really. I have been told that I can't expect my local police force to process my FAC application till September at the earliest. Probably more likely October in reality.

    I am keen to get my DSC 2 underway as there are a number of opportunities that require me to have it. My problem is that as it stands I have never shot a Uk deer (done a few Impala) and feel that even though Iv shot a load of foxes and am experienced with rifles, in the Police eyes isuspect that they are going to want more proof.

    Therefore to not kick my heels whilst I'm waiting and to productive I thought maybe I could just enrol for dsc2 and start doing the portfolio collection from scratch to not only get DSC2 but also keep police happy. Obviously this would involve paid stalks and use of their rifle.

    What at are people's thoughts on doing it this way? Wise or not? I'm confident in my shooting ability and butchery.

    Thanks

    Tim

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    As above really. I have been told that I can't expect my local police force to process my FAC application till September at the earliest. Probably more likely October in reality.

    I am keen to get my DSC 2 underway as there are a number of opportunities that require me to have it. My problem is that as it stands I have never shot a Uk deer (done a few Impala) and feel that even though Iv shot a load of foxes and am experienced with rifles, in the Police eyes isuspect that they are going to want more proof.

    Therefore to not kick my heels whilst I'm waiting and to productive I thought maybe I could just enrol for dsc2 and start doing the portfolio collection from scratch to not only get DSC2 but also keep police happy. Obviously this would involve paid stalks and use of their rifle.

    What at are people's thoughts on doing it this way? Wise or not? I'm confident in my shooting ability and butchery.

    Thanks

    Tim
    Tim ,

    When did you complete DSC 1? I have heard of quite a few occasions when police forces are asking for DSC 1 before granting a deer legal rifle in the UK. Do you have permissions to shoot on? I see no reason why you should not be granted an FAC conditioned for deer if you have good reason for this.

    GS

  3. #3
    April this year and yes have 4K acres over two sites. I have no doubt they will give me one but suspect will end up with restrictions such as mentoring and such like. There's also another syndicate which I would like to join that needs DSC2. Just keen to show capability and proper reason. Also I want to get some stalking in before it comes.

  4. #4
    You should only really get geographical restriction at most (i.e. open tickets hard to get on first cert) with your existing permission and experience imo.

  5. #5
    Nothing to stop you doing level2 before you get your fac. You just need an AW with whom you can stalk using their rifle (estate rifle).

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    April this year and yes have 4K acres over two sites. I have no doubt they will give me one but suspect will end up with restrictions such as mentoring and such like. There's also another syndicate which I would like to join that needs DSC2. Just keen to show capability and proper reason. Also I want to get some stalking in before it comes.

    you will get a closed ticket restricted to Police cleared land

    you should not get a mentor restriction if you do question it as it goes against the Guidelines and directives of the Working group committee (tho police ares are not legally forced to follow them a lot now are)

    Dorset while not recognising DSC1 as any use for grant of a deer rifle are saying DSC2 would be reason to open a FAC up before the 5yr renewal Not sure if any other forces are doing this

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    you will get a closed ticket restricted to Police cleared land

    you should not get a mentor restriction if you do question it as it goes against the Guidelines and directives of the Working group committee (tho police ares are not legally forced to follow them a lot now are)

    Dorset while not recognising DSC1 as any use for grant of a deer rifle are saying DSC2 would be reason to open a FAC up before the 5yr renewal Not sure if any other forces are doing this
    thanks that's the sort of info I am looking for.

    Whats he he deal with travelling on a restricted police cleared land ticket? Also is it as simple if I get a new permission to just call up and say is this cleared can I shoot on it? Or does it need to be written down.

    Thanks

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    April this year and yes have 4K acres over two sites. I have no doubt they will give me one but suspect will end up with restrictions such as mentoring and such like. There's also another syndicate which I would like to join that needs DSC2. Just keen to show capability and proper reason. Also I want to get some stalking in before it comes.
    No reason why the police should refuse you a FAC I got mine without any ground, just stated for paid stalking, and had evidence of stalking i had done and future bookings, sounds like you are intent on getting your dsc2 which shows further commitment so I wish you luck with it
    Cheers
    Ray

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    thanks that's the sort of info I am looking for.

    Whats he he deal with travelling on a restricted police cleared land ticket? Also is it as simple if I get a new permission to just call up and say is this cleared can I shoot on it? Or does it need to be written down.

    Thanks

    the restriction is only what type of land you can shoot on you can travel with it as any body can on FAC

    the land you use for application will get checked and cleared if needed

    for any new permissions /invitations etc you need to contact the FEO office of the county the land is in with the Address and details of the land they can check their Database and will say if its cleared or not and to what level ie rimfire/ centerfire or centerfire up to a calibre. I always make sure they email me confirmation with the land and clearance so i have a reference if its cleared to at least your Calibre then shoot it ...if its not cleared or not high enough for your calibre you need to make an application to your own FEO for a land clearance and they will then ask the County FEO the land is in to do the clearance this will take time


    for example My perms are cleared for me on my application and Dorset clear to the cal you ask for so up to 6.5mm/0.260" and under is fine 308" is not

    Devon and cornwall cleared a bit of land luckly i only wanted for rabbits but asked for the 6.5mm for deer any way they would only clear for .243" so i cant use my Deer gun there till its opened




    Do not take any body elses word even the land owner or another shooter they can be wrong or dont rememeber the caliber its cleared to ...its your FAC thats at risk
    Last edited by FGYT; 13-07-2016 at 15:14.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    My problem is that as it stands I have never shot a Uk deer (done a few Impala) and feel that even though Iv shot a load of foxes and am experienced with rifles, in the Police eyes isuspect that they are going to want more proof.
    It is not a given that a first grant FAC will have a territorial restriction placed on it - in Scotland I understand it's the norm for certificates to be 'open' from the get go.

    If you can demonstrate prior experience with CF (or other) firearms then it is possible you may be granted an 'open' certificate if you request it.

    HO Guidance makes provision for this:

    13.26 It is desirable that new applicants should have some previous experience of the safe
    use of firearms before using such rifles. Experience is neither cartridge nor ammunition
    type exclusive. It may include the shooting of any quarry species. The aspect that police
    are looking to be satisfied about is the competency of the applicant to take a safe shot
    every time. The shooting of any quarry requires a safe backstop for the shot, and such
    experience is transferable between quarry species.


    Don't ask, don't get.

Similar Threads

  1. *SOLD* sage approach fly kit
    By james19306 in forum Other Items
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 09:47
  2. For Sale Sage approach fly rod and kit.
    By james19306 in forum Other Items
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-08-2014, 09:36
  3. An Alternative Approach To Eye Testing
    By Klenchblaize in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13-02-2014, 18:58
  4. Passwords - I am trying a new approach
    By jcampbellsmith in forum Site Help/Problems
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 23-06-2012, 21:16
  5. Permission approach
    By Chris Rob in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29-12-2008, 11:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •