Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out with the Old....In with the New (ish)

Out with the Old....In with the New (ish)

One of the owners of a firm I do some contract turning for made a slight error in showing me the advert of a nice second hand lathe.
    The one they have had for 20 years has served them very well but is very tired, nice big gap bed but only a 70mm spindle.

The replacement machine can take a 175mm piece right through, the bit which closed the deal was a mention to his brother it would be easy to make a punt gun as this new machine has a taper turning attachment and a big enough spindle to take the barrel!!

SOLD lol

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

nice don't show whitebeard he loves lathes too !

Quote Originally Posted by Brimfire View Post
    Bit cheaper than this one perhaps -

http://www.dugard.com/product/u28005...12l-cnc-lathe/
    Far too many buttons lol

Tim.243

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    One of the owners of a firm I do some contract turning for made a slight error in showing me the advert of a nice second hand lathe.
    The one they have had for 20 years has served them very well but is very tired, nice big gap bed but only a 70mm spindle.

The replacement machine can take a 175mm piece right through, the bit which closed the deal was a mention to his brother it would be easy to make a punt gun as this new machine has a taper turning attachment and a big enough spindle to take the barrel!!

SOLD lol

Tim.243
    Very nice machine, never seen that sort of three jaw before,is it a special or have I been out of the mainstream too long?
    Last big lathe I bought had a 25" four jaw, first time I put it on it stayed on for 18 years till I sold it. Put money on it that it still is ...happy turning...

Quote Originally Posted by Highlandsjohn View Post
    Very nice machine, never seen that sort of three jaw before,is it a special or have I been out of the mainstream too long?
    Last big lathe I bought had a 25" four jaw, first time I put it on it stayed on for 18 years till I sold it. Put money on it that it still is ...happy turning...

The jaws run on an angle as that gives more surface area ( like the long side of a triangle) down side the external jaws never came along as I guess they are sitting in the box in the corner of the museum work shop it came from.

Not the end of the world as the internet reaches far and wide...

Tim.243
    Last edited by Tim.243; 13-07-2016 at 20:35.

The jaws run on an angle as that gives more surface area ( like the long side of a triangle) down side the external jaws never came along as I guess they are sitting in the box in the corner of the museum work shop it came from.

Not the end of the world as the internet reaches far and wide...

Tim.243
    Thanks Tim,live and learn. Sold a Warco GH 12x36 two months ago to a fellow in Dundee. I found the outside jaws for his 3 jaw on a shelf along with a dead centre. He has them now,hope you get yours..cheers, john

Quote Originally Posted by Highlandsjohn View Post
    Thanks Tim,live and learn. Sold a Warco GH 12x36 two months ago to a fellow in Dundee. I found the outside jaws for his 3 jaw on a shelf along with a dead centre. He has them now,hope you get yours..cheers, john

I found the piece of paper that I couldn't find last night! The brand of chuck is a "Taylor"

So tapping the key board looking for the jaws lol

Tim.243

I found the piece of paper that I couldn't find last night! The brand of chuck is a "Taylor"

So tapping the key board looking for the jaws lol

Tim.243
    E-MAIL tony@lathes.co.uk Hi Tim,Thanks,,You might try this fellow, great sight and lots of info on machine tools, if you can't source it..john

3 jaw self centering chuck?