Thread: Chucked Old Brass Out!

Chucked Old Brass Out!

Finally after 16 years of reloading/annealing these cases, my first hundred .25-06 brass is goosed!
    It's served me well & I've enjoyed pretty good consistency of accuracy with it, but recently I took the decision to 'bring on' some new brass and 'wear it in' so that I could make a smooth switch...& so I have!
    Twenty at a time. Now I'm two boxes x 20 into the new brass & chucked all the old.
    I haven't chucked the boxes though....looking a bit battered now, but still functioning.
    Tight or what eh!

So, I think around 2000 rounds from my records is what that first 100 cases have done and that's really damn good, especially as mostly it's been F/L resized.
    Hey ho, Magic!
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

How often did you anneal?

Thats impressive, what make of brass? It will be interesting to see how your new brass compares

Brass is/was Remington & replaced by the same.
    Initially I didn't anneal until I got some smoke on the case after firing, that took about ten years until 1st occurrence. Then after the penny dropped & I realised what had happened, I tried annealing.
    Bit daunting at first, but got the hang of it pretty quickly & subsequently annealed mostly after three firings, occasionally four.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

That speaks well of both your reloading technique, and Reminigton Brass. I hope the next lot behaves as well as the first.

Did the whole batch make it through to the end?

Yup, the whole batch bar two that split on resizing, which was when I decided enough was enough.
    Time will tell, but I can't see any reason why this next batch wouldn't give lengthy service; he said hopefully

It will be interesting to see how the new batch of Rem Brass performs compared to the 'old stuff'. I would not touch modern Rem Brass with a barge pole after buying a bag of .260 Rem. Necks were dinged, not all, but more than one would expect. I found swarf inside quite a few cases and primer pockets loosened up after 3 loads.
    Possible I had a bad batch but bad batches should not occur from a respected Company like Remington. Do they even make their own brass nowadays?

regards
    Mike.