Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil fired central heating

Oil fired central heating

Hi all,
    I'm off to view a house to rent on Monday, I've never had oil fired heating before and I was wondering what sort of consumption to expect if we were to move in. I imagine it might be a "piece of string" question, but if anybody could chip in with any wisdom that would be great.
    Cheers
    Simon
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Definately " a piece of string" question how big are the rooms , how many rooms etc etc but oil is cheap " at the moment, i have oil heating which is great but also have a coal/ wood fire in the living room so use the oil for background heating
    Ray

Depends on how big your boiler is aswell mate,

I have Oil ch, its cheep in comparison to solid fuel or electric, I cannot compare town gas as none up here!.

SD Regular
    Oil CH is fine - no better or worse particularly than any other form of heating. Boilers operate the same way, need servicing as often (not your issue if it's a rental, but I would make a specific enquiry as to the age and servicing of the boiler as newer boilers are more efficient). Size of oil tank may give you an idea of rough consumption too.

Also ensure that the oil in the tank is at a measurable, defined level. Terms of your agreement will be for it to be left as you found it - and full is the easiest. Bear in mind one tends to buy oil in bulk - some won't deliver less than 500l - so this may have an impact on your pocket as a big hit if you don't make a monthly arrangement (which will be more expensive). Oil tends to be cheaper in the summer months - so stock up off peak. Oh - don't run out - expensive to remove the airlock.....

Oil currently around 30p/l - was double that three years ago. If you're in a local community, find out if there's an oil club - buying together in bulk often reduces price - and you may be able to get below the normal min amount because they're in the area.

HTH
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by levigsp View Post
    I have Oil ch, its cheep in comparison to solid fuel or electric, I cannot compare town gas as none up here!.
    Town gas??????????, what century are you living in?.

Town gas??????????, what century are you living in?.
    No town gas here too, the price you pay for being out in the sticks. I have oil but hardly ever use it because I have a wood burner. It is a combi boiler
    I have and think its a great thing for hot water and a back up to the stove

We used to get throught 2,000 litres a year and used to bulk buy with 3 neighbours about 5-6,000 litres at a go. Cheapest i ever got it was 9.2p/ltr.

That was a 5/6 bed converted cottage with 2x log burners. Cooking on electic, old style Worchester boiler free standing in back lobby.

My parents probably use the same in their cottage in Northumberland.

Suggest you budget for 3k litres and see how you get on.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Oil CH is fine - no better or worse particularly than any other form of heating. Boilers operate the same way, need servicing as often (not your issue if it's a rental, but I would make a specific enquiry as to the age and servicing of the boiler as newer boilers are more efficient). Size of oil tank may give you an idea of rough consumption too.

Also ensure that the oil in the tank is at a measurable, defined level. Terms of your agreement will be for it to be left as you found it - and full is the easiest. Bear in mind one tends to buy oil in bulk - some won't deliver less than 500l - so this may have an impact on your pocket as a big hit if you don't make a monthly arrangement (which will be more expensive). Oil tends to be cheaper in the summer months - so stock up off peak. Oh - don't run out - expensive to remove the airlock.....

Oil currently around 30p/l - was double that three years ago. If you're in a local community, find out if there's an oil club - buying together in bulk often reduces price - and you may be able to get below the normal min amount because they're in the area.

HTH
    Crack the bleed screw on the front of the burner and start the boiler as per normal. Hold an old cloth on front of the screw to catch the residue which will get spat out. Repeat a couple of times, tighten the bleed screw and you are good to go. My wife can manage this when we run out and I am away from home.

Oil boilers are no different to gas. You just have to remember to order it.

As others have said, it really depends on many factors. What ambient temp do you like? How efficient is the boiler? Is the house double glazed? How much insulation is in the loft/cavity wall?

The beauty of oil is no standing charge and it is bloody cheap at the moment compared to what it has been in the past!