Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Tax Land Rover Defender

Road Tax Land Rover Defender

Can I ask for thoughts on this situation. I am looking to buy a Land Rover Defender for my business that for tax reasons needs to be a commercial vehicle. I have found a possible vehicle that is listed on the V5 as being a lifeboat recovery vehicle ie tax exempt. My question is that this exemption only relates to vehicles solely used for lifeboat recovery. As I don't recover many lifeboats. If I were to buy the vehicle, how do you go about reclassification and who determines which group any particular car belongs to?
    anyone been in a similar position before?

Wouldnt touch a Landrover with a barge pole mate.
    Better off with something reliable.

Buy any landrover an declare it as a commercial vehicle on your application for road tax, it doesnt matter what it was used for before you buy it you apply for road tax if you ask for commercial vehicle tax it will be treated as such
    Ray

If it's an ex life boat recovery vehicle check very carefully for corrosion. Mate bought one and the top of the chassis was rotten due to being submerged in saltwater. The rest look ok.

In its present application its "tax exempt" (like police, fire and ambulance vehicles)

Once you take ownership, you have to tax accordingly.

Id be very careful with a landy thats seen regular salt water....

Plenty of Diahatsu or Suzuki luggers about that wont rot while you watch ....

Youre always welcome to use the L200 by the way

Thanks chaps, suspected as much. I think the ex lifeboat vehicle is now off the list! Unfortunately there are few other vehicles that will allow me to modify them for the purpose in mind other than the defender, as I need at least one seat with seatbelt in the cargo area with a bulkhead to mount about 10kg of anaesthetic machine with an O2 cylinder on. I cannot see how to achieve this with any other vehicle that would retain the same functionality as the Defender at other times when not in work mode.
    Thanks for the offer of the L200 mate, greatly appreciated!

Have you looked at these guys? -http://www.exmod.co.uk/index.html

They do all sorts of conversions and have some non mainstream vehicles that might serve the purpose, or could be sorted to suit.

The first thing that springs to mind is an ex utilities rig, they often come with backs converted to boxes, heaters & sinks etc. That said, even the utilities have woken up and stopped using land rovers! Good luck finding the right vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Thanks chaps, suspected as much. I think the ex lifeboat vehicle is now off the list! Unfortunately there are few other vehicles that will allow me to modify them for the purpose in mind other than the defender, as I need at least one seat with seatbelt in the cargo area with a bulkhead to mount about 10kg of anaesthetic machine with an O2 cylinder on. I cannot see how to achieve this with any other vehicle that would retain the same functionality as the Defender at other times when not in work mode.
    Thanks for the offer of the L200 mate, greatly appreciated!
    Sounds like you want an ex Ambulance service doublecab 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray7756 View Post
    Buy any landrover an declare it as a commercial vehicle on your application for road tax, it doesnt matter what it was used for before you buy it you apply for road tax if you ask for commercial vehicle tax it will be treated as such
    Ray
    Interesting, Are you meaning that the station wagon versions with the seats in the back are treated the same as the hard tops without rear windows and seats?

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Interesting, Are you meaning that the station wagon versions with the seats in the back are treated the same as the hard tops without rear windows and seats?
    You would need to remove the rear sets,there is a formula about ratio' of loadspace versus passenger space. Its online somehwere...