Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't underestimate the value of free stalking

Don't underestimate the value of free stalking

I recently got an email about stalking available at short notice and was very surprised at the prices quoted as I thought it might have been discounted slightly as it was such short notice.

Full day (2 stalks) £250:00
    Evening stalk £150:00
    Trophy fees
    4 point buck £75:00
    6 point buck £150:00

£225 for an evening stalk including a 4 point buck seems a lot. Obviously it is the buyers choice as to whether they go ahead or not and the advert does make all costs clear up front.

I remember going out one morning with Wayne Davies and shooting 3 roe bucks (including at least one 6 pointer). It was a fantastic morning and didnít cost a lot. Looking at the prices above that would have been at least £450 for the morning. I know it can be pot luck when stalking and I have on two other occasions paid for stalking with others and was disappointed with the day. For anybody on a tight budget going to a professional is going to be costly. There are other alternatives available, just make sure you get a recommendation. For those who have access to free stalking, be thankful for it.

Absolutely! Hard to find, hard to keep as there seems to be a lot of people with the money to buy any shooting right. Not a problem in itself apart from the fact that a lot of land seems to be riddled with deer that are not getting shot as the owner of the rights has too much land.
    Most of us are/would be happy with a small amount of land but are competing with those that feel the need to have all the land that they can find.
    it makes it very difficult for those of us bringing up a family and paying the bills to even get a little stalking.

Pure business though, if you buy up all the land that leaves no free stalking, so they have to pay you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Pure business though, if you buy up all the land that leaves no free stalking, so they have to pay you for it.
    Unfortunately it will be the death of the shooting sports.

Much depends on whether they are full time or just someone making money at weekends. It also hinges on how much they pay for the lease and any other overheads they may have if full time.

I think one must try and give good value for money and certainly if no deer are seen (which does happen) then a free trip back is offered.

I have kept my prices the same for quite a while now, £75 per stalk and a £50 kill fee on a yearling to 4 point buck. If its an old mature buck non medal 5 to 6 points its £100 kill fee.
    I have just finished on my bucks for this season taking 26 since 19th May, so a good season for me.

If you look around there are some very good deals to be had, and of course good guys such as Wayne and some of the other members on here are always helping people out, which is great and just shows there are real gentlemen out there in the stalking world.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

it wasn't that long ago on a large well deered est you could stalk for the day £120 and cull 4 beasts but things go up and stalkings popular now and addictive like many drugs the habit needs feeding once yr bitten
    certainly glad I've the odd free bit and I try and take a few mates to those and spread the love ha !
    good hunting
    Norma

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Much depends on whether they are full time or just someone making money at weekends. It also hinges on how much they pay for the lease and any other overheads they may have if full time.

I think one must try and give good value for money and certainly if no deer are seen (which does happen) then a free trip back is offered.

I have kept my prices the same for quite a while now, £75 per stalk and a £50 kill fee on a yearling to 4 point buck. If its an old mature buck non medal 5 to 6 points its £100 kill fee.
    I have just finished on my bucks for this season taking 26 since 19th May, so a good season for me.

If you look around there are some very good deals to be had, and of course good guys such as Wayne and some of the other members on here are always helping people out, which is great and just shows there are real gentlemen out there in the stalking world.
    . Sikamalc what you said about giving a free trip back for anyone not seen a dear is very generous, I think if a lot more stalkers offered the same it would give people who pay for there stalking a lot more comfidence when booking a stalk with someone they have never met thanks Trevor

Being in the same situation as kieran222 I can completely empathise with what he has said. Apart from two very generous members on here who offered me, a complete stranger, the opportunity to stalk with them, all of my stalking has to be bought from professionals. Fortunately, I can say that I made the happy choice of going to Sikamalc. With him you get exactly what is advertised as well as a great deal of guidance and advice that you don't pay for, all delivered with a good dose of good humour.
    I may not stand much of a chance at getting a permission within reasonable travelling distance of where I live, but as long as malc is in business I am happy to go to him, especially as I am progressing towards DSC2.
    It is true that you get what you pay for, but with care a provider such as malc can be found who provides so much more than he charges for. Considering that he too has to make his business pay I think the service he provides is truly outstanding.
    JMO

John

+1 for Sikamalc a true gent and a man who stands by what he says.Im in syndicate land and have nowhere near the funds to compete never mind join so going to Malcs and Elmer Fudd,s too is a godsend.I too have been on the receiving end of SD generosity having been rabbiting twice with Unicorn 71 and shooting a Red buck with him for free.They are all 3 very helpful and generous people willing to share and thats where strangers become friends
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

There was a thread here the other day moaning about people paying over the odds for pemissions,everything is relative!!