Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hummel

Hummel

To shoot or not?
    would you shoot a Hummel before the hind season started?

if so why?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Yes. Plenty good venison!

Can you clarify this for me...is a Hummel an antlerless stag or an antler growing hind or is it both?
    Quad sticks

Antlerless stag as far as I'm aware.

What's a hind starting to grow antler called?
    i ask as I had her in the cross hairs on Saturday but didn't shoot. A very large hind with obvious 'spots' where it looked liked antlers should be. No follower or calf in tow. Just old perhaps?
    Quad sticks

Like above I thought it referred to a male Deer with no tackle so to speak , as regards females I would regard every one the law of seasons , why shoot one out of season unless absolutely necessary, I have seen roe does with pedicles with young at foot so why risk being wrong ?not having a dig because you let her go , just don't want less experienced stalkers to think it's right to shoot them

Absolutely,if in doubt....don't pull that trigger....it'll always be there another time of not for me then someone else and that's fine. I was more asking in the hope of an explanation as to why this would occur. The marks on its head were similar to those bloody marks left when antlers cast only on a hind...
    Quad sticks

Hummels definitly stags without antlars. Can be caused by a number of reasons, some of which are inherited so definitely a prime cull animal.

Quote Originally Posted by arron View Post
    Like above I thought it referred to a male Deer with no tackle so to speak

Might be antlerless but fertile and capable of breeding.

The first red deer I ever shot was a mahoosively bodied hummel (also called a Nott Stag in this neck of the woods) which was running with a considerable harem of hinds just pior to the rut, and had a complete set of wedding tackle. AFAIK they can generally have considerable success in the rut as a) they don't attract the attentions of other stags looking for a fight; b) not having to expend energy fighting they can spend it sh*gging; and c) as female deer are the ones doing the selecting a) & b) plus large body size may appeal to them.

Experiments have been carried out on naturally occuring hummel stags, where the tip of the antlerless pedicle has been surgically excised and normal anter growth has then commenced. The incomplete development of the antler pedicles during the first year is considered to be the reason for the absence of antlers in the majority of hummels rather than lack of testosterone or genetic reasons.
    Last edited by Orion; 18-07-2016 at 15:29.

Thanks for clearing that up ,interesting stuff !! every day is a school day,regards Arron.