Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stalking with Open Sights

Stalking with Open Sights

I am considering buying a lightweight "battue style" rifle with open sights un-moderated for Woodland stalking. Proobably .308 flavour.

Anyone got one,done it?

What ranges realistically can you expect to shoot deer at with open sights?

Not had open sights since my air rifle days!!

Thanks

Martin

Depends how good you are and how much you practice.....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    What ranges realistically can you expect to shoot deer at with open sights?
    I've never shot a deer with iron sights but I've shot a good many targets using them, although usually aperture, rather than open.

Assuming your rifle will shoot properly to 300yds, as most stalking-rifles will nowadays, I think the realistic range will depend on
    1. The style of the sight
    2. Tje size of the deer
    2. The light
    3. Your eyes

The wisdom of text-books from the olden days when open sights (often wide shallow-V 'express sights') were usual seems to be that rifles in what we'd consider standard stalking calibres should be sighed for 200yds.

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    Depends how good you are and how much you practice.....
    ...and this too, of course!

I use open sights a fair bit on deer. I like to hunt in heavy cover when its cold & wet & if that is the weather outlook I always use a rifle fitted with QR mounts & open sights. I use a peep sighted 30 30 a lot on pigs & prefer it to a scoped rifle as it is faster & I seem to do better on the running shots, the swing is cleaner & I dont overthink it. I am playing with a commercial 1950's FN Mauser in 375 H&H ATM, it's very light & points well for me, i'm having a large front bead & a peep sight fitted & no scope. I will most likely take this to walk up a sambar in heavy timber or regrowth.
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

I'm in agreement with Sharkey on the 30-30. If I was insistent on open sights and a quick handling rifle I would use my lever action Win Model 94 with a ghost ring aperature sight. Not a precision rifle, and I rarely would even consider a shot past 100 yds with it - but crawling around in the thick and nasty and that gun is all sorts of handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    I'm in agreement with Sharkey on the 30-30. If I was insistent on open sights and a quick handling rifle I would use my lever action Win Model 94 with a ghost ring aperature sight. Not a precision rifle, and I rarely would even consider a shot past 100 yds with it - but crawling around in the thick and nasty and that gun is all sorts of handy.
    Thats the one I have. Its a 70's top eject model & I have the biggest hole in the aperature I can. Most folk would look at it & think its a piece of crap, but it does its job beautifully. It is most often on the quad bike or the truck when I am working around the farm so it's well worn in. I can shoot foxes out to 70 yards with some confidence & even take the heads of bunnies from a bit closer if I fancy a few for the pot. I have a steady population of pigs on my own place & because its with me a lot, it shoots a "few". Scopes wouldnt last a year or two on this & similar work guns. Also these days I tend to like the hunting more than I like the shooting, & even with aging eyes I enjoy & even get more enjoyment using open sights within their limits. Open sights are an advantage & not a disadvantage for a lot of the type of hunting which I enjoy.
    Last edited by sharkey; 18-07-2016 at 23:52.
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Used a 30/30 for a couple of years culling Sika in thick woodland,using open sights. Most shots less than 50 yards,very effective. Open sights are perfectly ok for 150 yard shots,but you need to practice a lot prior to using them in earnest. For many years I stalked Roe and Fallow with a 6.5 x 54 Mannlicher using open sights, but as with most of us my eyesight deteriorated with age, so I fitted a scope.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

hows about using a very low mag scope, if you can get on and use open sights then hats off to you but to be honest i think a low powered scope (sub x6) will give you the close up action your after but with the benifits of a scope

Quote Originally Posted by The fourth Horseman View Post
    Used a 30/30 for a couple of years culling Sika in thick woodland,using open sights. Most shots less than 50 yards,very effective. Open sights are perfectly ok for 150 yard shots,but you need to practice a lot prior to using them in earnest. For many years I stalked Roe and Fallow with a 6.5 x 54 Mannlicher using open sights, but as with most of us my eyesight deteriorated with age, so I fitted a scope.
    Ah 6.5 x54 Mannlicher my fathers old rifle he never had a scoped rifle in his life , good for 150 yards on the open hill, I'm not really sure that we shoot any better with a scope than they did with open sights, but a scope probably gives us more confidence which may or may not be a good thing