Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What .308 ammunition to try in S&L Victory?

What .308 ammunition to try in S&L Victory?

Hi all,

I've recently had my FAC granted (woop woop! ) and have bought a Schultz & Larsen Victory in .308, topped with a Swaro Z4i 3-12x50.

I absolutely love it and it is great to shoot using Norma 150gr ballistic tips, but I wanted to mine the brains of the SD collective to see if there are any other .308 rounds that I should try?

I've heard good things about Hornady SST 150gr as well so probably will give these a go at some point in the not too distant, but are the SAKO rounds worth a look? A local RFD sells them in 123gr and 180gr loads.

Are there any other cartridges I should check out, or does anyone know if there is a particular brand/weight that the S&L barrels get on well with?

I'm not hugely concerned about price as I'm not banging through 100 rounds a week, but obviously if the cost is lower then thats always a nice thing hehe

Thanks all in advance for your help!

Come on Stu you've been knocking around the site long enough to know the stock answer. LOL.
    Every barrel is different and there is no magic bullet or ammo suitable for a particular brand of rifle. Schultz & Larsen are a pretty good maker with an enviable reputation for using good barrels. The simple answer is buy different samples in the bullet weight and type that you want to use and try them out in your own rifle. The cost of the bullet or ammunition will have no relevance to the results that you will get.

In plain speak find out what works for you.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Try SAMSON from http://gunshop-eb.com/CF%20Sporting%20%20Ammunition.php It's about twice the price it used to be, though!
    If it's good enough for the Israeli army........

I've yet to find a 308 that doesn't like the hornady 168g TAP ammo
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    I've yet to find a 308 that doesn't like the hornady 168g TAP ammo
    But, thats loaded with "A-MAX" 😮😮

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    But, thats loaded with "A-MAX" 

so what ? he never said what he was shooting with it !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by stubear View Post
    Hi all,

I've recently had my FAC granted (woop woop! ) and have bought a Schultz & Larsen Victory in .308, topped with a Swaro Z4i 3-12x50.

I absolutely love it and it is great to shoot using Norma 150gr ballistic tips, but I wanted to mine the brains of the SD collective to see if there are any other .308 rounds that I should try?

I've heard good things about Hornady SST 150gr as well so probably will give these a go at some point in the not too distant, but are the SAKO rounds worth a look? A local RFD sells them in 123gr and 180gr loads.

Are there any other cartridges I should check out, or does anyone know if there is a particular brand/weight that the S&L barrels get on well with?

I'm not hugely concerned about price as I'm not banging through 100 rounds a week, but obviously if the cost is lower then thats always a nice thing hehe

Well as money is no big problem go out and buy some different brands and bullet weights and see what your rifle likes. Then you will be as wise as anybody on what your rifle likes. Plus its good for getting used to the new rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Come on Stu you've been knocking around the site long enough to know the stock answer. LOL.
    Every barrel is different and there is no magic bullet or ammo suitable for a particular brand of rifle. Schultz & Larsen are a pretty good maker with an enviable reputation for using good barrels. The simple answer is buy different samples in the bullet weight and type that you want to use and try them out in your own rifle. The cost of the bullet or ammunition will have no relevance to the results that you will get.

In plain speak find out what works for you.
    Haha yes very true!

This was more in case someone knew that XYZ brand worked best for them in their S&L, or if they had a particular brand they prefer or would avoid, but TBH this gives me the excuse to go down the range and try a load out hehe!

I'll see what I can see!

Thanks all for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    so what ? he never said what he was shooting with it !
    Well, you know, some people get twitchy about the possible use of AMAX on deer 😂😂

Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Quote Originally Posted by stubear View Post
    Hi all,

Mate of mine has a S&L in .308 and using his rifle I put 5 shots in half inch at 100 using Winchester factory ammo. Couldn't tell you the weight of the bullets but it was better than the home loaded stuff with RS Tac.