Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End Opening Rifle Cabinets for vehicles

End Opening Rifle Cabinets for vehicles

Hi,
    I have noticed in other threads that the FC vehicles are now fitted with end opening rifle cabinets - which sound far easier than having to go to both sides of the vehicle to open each of the locks - plus it gives you somewhere else to pile your junk !

I've poked around the internet, but haven't found any suppliers - any body know where they come from?

Kind regards

Siggy.

I would be interested if you find them.
    I am currently getting quotes for a custom dog crate with lockable steel rifle draw beneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
    I would be interested if you find them.
    I am currently getting quotes for a custom dog crate with lockable steel rifle draw beneath.
    I like the crates with draws but they tend to take up half of your boot space, and (I don't believe) they meet the BS 7558.

Whilst transporting your rifle, it would be a lot more secure than just in a rifle slip

Does Mereside or someone on here make cabinets, he might be able to manufacture something bespoke?

SD Regular
    Ah...but how do you get well into it, as it were, to dry it inside if it gets damp?

Or to retrieve any small bits that might "drop off" like jags on cleaning rods or boxes of ammunition that you might otherwise store in it when not transporting a rifle. Binoculars even. Or stalking telescopes also.

Seems like a good idea but a few minutes thought seem to show it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Ah...but how do you get well into it, as it were, to dry it inside if it gets damp?

Or to retrieve any small bits that might "drop off" like jags on cleaning rods or boxes of ammunition that you might otherwise store in it when not transporting a rifle. Binoculars even. Or stalking telescopes also.

Seems like a good idea but a few minutes thought seem to show it isn't.

To to be fair it could easily have an opening at each end.......
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

A opening at one end with a sliding tray inside so even the smallest thing could be retrieved. It wouldn't be cheap but Municipal Securities (based in Handcross, West Sussex) make every kind of security safe from bespoke gun safes for ARVs to entire mobile armouries and general security safes. It'll be the most secure quality item you could buy but you'd obviously pay considerably for it.

My pal appeared for a coffee last time I was home & he , I know had been enquiring about the aftermarket floor & underdrawers you see advertised for his hilux .... Quoted around 1000
    But his father knocked this up , two drawers , one shooting stuff one fishing stuff .... This was really well made routered drawer grooves the lot! And drawers can't be opened when tailgate shut obviously as near hard too each other.
    Everything out of sight neat & dog crate easy accessible ... He only needed to get some rubber matting for top as its slippy for the dog but my lab was straight in & " where we going ?"
    As you can see

Quote Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
    Whilst transporting your rifle, it would be a lot more secure than just in a rifle slip
    You're not wrong there, and as it attached to a moveable object it might be over kill.