Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Useless, PITA, bloody FELO's and made up conditions...

Useless, PITA, bloody FELO's and made up conditions...

Finally, after months and months of jumping through hoops and justifying my application, FAC came back today having been granted...

Despite the FEO telling me exactly what recommendations he had put forward, based on my previous experience (ex keeper, years of stalking in the early nineties, old fashioned WSCC), letter of support (thanks neilaj) and our discussions (any legal quarry, confirmed by FEO as being recommended with no mentoring condition) have received the FAC today with

"whilst accompanied by an experienced deer stalker"

and

deer and zeroing only - not even fox whilst stalking

as conditions

AARHHHGGGH!

FFS, balls to it,
    I'll go and buy my rifle this weekend, so thats out the way - and then argue about it next week - will have to have a good chat with the FEO who processed my application.

anyone any experience in fighting stupid conditions imposed in the offices despite FEO recommendations not supporting?
    Last edited by Labrat; 19-06-2010 at 23:43.

Labrat, If you are a member of BASC their firearms department is worth talking to. There are some good downloads available on their site too;

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/...44064E62F3689D

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/...F72349FD5C6B90

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/utilities/...2C528EAF147301

I will PM you the letter I used to my Chief Constable to protest my conditions.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

What is the definition of an experienced deer stalker?.... someone who's been stalking 25 times and shot 4 or someone who's been twice and shot 6 perhaps?
    Does your mentor need to give proof of experience or qualifications?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

This has no bearing or backing in law, it's absolute tosh, it's about time this one was put to bed.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
    I'll go and buy my rifle this weekend, so thats out the way - and then argue about it next week - will have to have a good chat with the FEO who processed my application.
    First off, don't have a 'good chat' with anyone. Write a measured letter addressed to the head of the firearms department stating everything you have already said and enclosing (again) copies of all your supporting documentation - keep copies of everything for your own records.

If they call you or otherwise verbally try and give you the brush off - maybe stating that it's 'policy' or any other blanket reason to issue a first FAC with those conditions - ask them to put it in all in writing. This will both put them on the alert that you mean business and also start a paper trail.

If they don't see sense after that, then write to the CC.

Have you got a shooting organisation behind you if needed? What constabulary and what calibre have you applied for?

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    What is the definition of an experienced deer stalker?.... someone who's been stalking 25 times and shot 4 or someone who's been twice and shot 6 perhaps?
    Does your mentor need to give proof of experience or qualifications?
    Precisely what I intend to query - and what exactly does "accompanied" mean - 5 metres, 50 metres, 500 metres away?

Thanks for the support guys, was pretty pissed this morning, however now got a nice little .243 sitting here waiting to be christened, so big smiley face all round

I'll speak to the FEO on monday and then write a 'mrs trellis' letter!

i am new to stalking and i also had this condition on my fac. i was told to come back in three months when gained experience well i have been out quite abit and have now gained a small amount of land and rang firearms explaining i wanted to go out on my own expecting the condition to be removed. another visit from firearms officer and lots of questions later and a phone call to john who explained i was safe and everything seems to have been ok'd just waiting for paperwork to come back but he said there was no reason why i shouldnt hold an open ticket. i already had for deer and any legal quarry so holding my breath it will come back this week as i spoke to them last week and it was going ahead.

Expect extra intransigence post Cumbria.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Expect extra intransigence post Cumbria.
    yes they have been hanging the bag out as i have rang a few times so we shall see they did say this week but i will be ringing before the weeks out

It may not be of much direct help but two conversations I've had in the past few years were interesting. I was arguing "off the record" about stupid conditions whereby I could shoot a fox if stalking with my .243 but not with my .270 and he said that if I was unlucky enough to actually get caught doing it by a witness who would be able to confirm that I had a) shot a fox and b) confirm the calibre of the rifle I used, the CPS wouldn't touch it because it was a breach of aChief Constable's condition and not a breach of the law. The second conversation was with a CPS duty solicitor who confirmed this. However the problem might come at your next renewal!!!