Available: Forestry Commision leases

Well said shabz.
I think it is quite good that there trying to get people in to do the job rather than with the fattest wallets

Also how would the FC sit with people carrying firearms who have not passed their FC shooting test?

Even from a professionals point of view often paying in region of £100 a beast, would imagine profit marigns could be pretty tight by the time u have all the other expenses to come of, never mind the lower deer density forestry wants.
Couple that with the open acces policy it could be very hard work for any pro stalker in some forestry blocks

Shabaz bang on and I am not sure how they will fit the new business policy in to what is already there. But it is getting put in and will be in the public interest. I was told that the drivers were local business start up and how they would help other local rural businesses. I am sure there will be Pilot schemes first and they will probably be up north in isolated pocket,s. I just hope these will be local and not bought over with foreign or southern money as that in my opinion will not help the rural economy as much.

I'm sure that not all FC sites would be suitable for commercial stalking but many would. The rates that a commercial stalker could pay per deer would definitely be higher, if the commercial stalker was dsc2 and has satisfied the commission that he was suitable and safe it seems crazy that they couldn't safely accompany a guest. The commission could then make more money out of the whole excersise.

The consultation that Slider posted is proposing some quite radical changes with how the National Forest Estate is managed. I would think that anything is possible and the only thing I'm sure of is that nothing is certain. With the devolution of forestry (and the consequent repeal of the forestry act in Scotland), new ministers, a rewrite of the U.K. Forest Standard and what seems like more movement at SNH with regards to deer management in Scotland. I don't think much will be sorted out for a couple of years either.

I saw the bit in the SNH consultation document about dogs being trained to a set standard and that standard being the same as continental standards. I can't see that happening but maybe that's for another thread...

Word is that FCs are not impressed with those trying to exploit these Recreational Permissions as commercial opportunities.

That may be the case but it hasn't stopped them awarding some of the Recreational Permissions to commercial enterprises.

Not exactly sure how you could exploit the leases as a commercial opportunity, you could bid £2000 have four controllers at £1000/controller only makes you £2000 up unless your keeping the venison,not sure many would pay that with no meat to show for it.
People will not get rich very quick that way, you could take out paying guests but your in breach of your lease so that wouldn't last long!!

Or am I missing something??

Also as far as I am aware the new tender process has all bids just as a number, the name of the bidder isn't known until it is awarded, so I guess the commercial operations that have been successful must have been the highest scorers on the matrix.

You may bid for as many of the leases that come out on that release as you want but will only be awarded a max of two, also that wouldn't help the commercial operations a great deal, would it?

I also believe the Rangers wouldn't be turning a blind eye to a commercial operation taking out paying guests as they would be out of a job PDQ.

So unless I am missing something it's not really a good money spinner for the commercial deer stalkers, no trophy fees if you have syndicate/controllers and no real scope to take paying guests.

I know there are in the commercial stalking world a few rogues, just don't think it is worth their effort to go after FC ground too many hoops and eyes watching, better to get leases with private landlords and put loads of syndicate rifles on and take paying guests out as well.

Wonder how many of these names are the previous holders of the stalking leases that have reapplied ?, there are another couple of threads on the site where one the OP has reapplied and won the bid (obvs best bid)and another also saying they have applied for 3 leases and are looking for controllers.(sorry gents just using you as examples, no offence intended)

Why is it any different to commercial stalking providers? The amount of money you offer for the lease doesn't score many points compared to the rest of the scoring system.

Also its open to everyone that has the relevant qualifications so apply you may win!!
If you don't have the qualifications then do something about it and then apply ask for feed back if your unsuccessful and go again.
One day you maybe on here asking for people to join your syndicate :D:D

No I am not one of the names on the list before anyone asks!

Last edited:
So unless I am missing something it's not really a good money spinner for the commercial deer stalkers, no trophy fees if you have syndicate/controllers and no real scope to take paying guests.

I do not know about these leases being money spinners, but certainly some of the successful bidders have names which appear to be commercial concerns.

My post listing the successful bidders has been removed - it appears that it is OK to have 40 odd posts discussing the game, but not the result! Public domain info anyway.

As this seems the way things are going, it's probably an idea to register as a supplier before the next tranche of leases appears?

Regards

JCS

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know about these leases being money spinners, but certainly some of the successful bidders have names which appear to be commercial concerns.

My post listing the successful bidders has been removed - it appears that it is OK to have 40 odd posts discussing the game, but not the result! Public domain info anyway.

This is a website for stalkers and like minded people, although the information you linked to is in the public domain making it easy for anti's and the like to find them is at least irresponsible. May suggest you think a little more before making any such post in the future.

John

This is a website for stalkers and like minded people, although the information you linked to is in the public domain making it easy for anti's and the like to find them is at least irresponsible. May suggest you think a little more before making any such post in the future.

John

That is factually incorrect. I did not post a link to anything. I received PMs asking for a link to the (public domain) information, but declined to provide it.

If people want to have an organisation with terms like "Deer Management" or "Stalking" in its title and set up a website for it or register it as a company then they become very cyber-visible.

I will PM you a link that may interest / dismay you

Well I do apologise if I made an error, but I still see no reason why people have to be named in public. I got your link, I did not follow it I have no interest in who has what shooting leases and where they live etc.

John

Back