Available: Forestry Commision leases

Well thank you Limulus. I took the time to register. Whilst I could not manage all the registration unaided, the people at public contracts were most helpful.
Wow! There are a lot of bits of ground.
Good hunting lads.

what section is it that you register I tried before and it was asking for business codes and other info as im not a business couldn't supply them.

Thanks Allan

what section is it that you register I tried before and it was asking for business codes and other info as im not a business couldn't supply them.

Thanks Allan

In typical Gov style the registration process is almost unworkable (which it has to be, obviously, otherwise it would do the call centre staff out of a job!)

In theory, I am registered but I too can only see one contract with in very little detail.

I'll have to have another brew before I can build up the energy to call the helpline back for a third time.

Thanks Allan

It's a wee bit of a phaff but system works fine once you are on it - I registered as a private individual with putting in any business code.

Go to this page then click on free registration http://www.publiccontractsscotland.gov.uk/

Then click on register as a supplier and fill in the mandatory fields
Job title - I used Stalker
Organisation name - just use your name and address
NUTS - leave as UK
DUNS number - click the look up box then tick the box to say you will apply for a DUNS number and add to your details at a later date.
Again, applying for a DUNS number is a bit of a phaff but just follow the prompts and you will be fine.
If you struggle phon ethe PCS number at the top of the web page - they are really helpful.

Once you are in the system
Gone to go to Browse Notices on the top menu bar then Advanced Search on the left hand side
Enter "Forestry Commission" in the Buying Organisation field and 1st July in "published after"
The "Recreations Deer Management Permissions" contract should become available.
You need to click the "Register your Interest" button before you have full access to the documents

tell me why I am helping the competition again.....

Last edited:
Only South and Central Scotland are being advertised just now. I don't have any information on if/when anything will be released in the north

So what sort of price per head do these things usually end up going for?
I have completed and won loads of these FCS tenders over the years, (never tendered for stalking) They always pay me LOL. The tender process us usually onerous, although these look fairly simple compared with the ones we usually do. The last frame work we won ran to about 120 pages.

I have completed and won loads of these FCS tenders over the years, (never tendered for stalking) They always pay me LOL. The tender process us usually onerous, although these look fairly simple compared with the ones we usually do. The last frame work we won ran to about 120 pages.

No idea on price i'm afraid but remember the scoring matrix is only 15% on price.
the rest is 35% experience, 15% equipment and 35% availability & contingency plan.

Income is not the key point here - getting the job done and meeting cull targets is.

I notice that the way they award points on price is quite odd. They take the highest price bid and call that 100%. You don't win a single point on price until you are 86% of the highest (this would give you 1%). So, if someone puts a price in of £1000, you get 0% if your bid is £849.

I would suggest that if you're confident that you can make 85% over the rest of the scores, then put in a price of £10. These tenders invariably attract bids from people from far away who have the money but not the time. They will set the price band but will not win because they are so far away. If you're next door, experienced and can supply a good service, then you should win at a tenner. Even if you were to offer £800, you'd still get zero points anyway!

These used to have guide prices on them of £100/deer. I always thought that was too much. I personally think they should be a set price (£1/ha) and they should take the best person for the job.

Good post Shabz makes a lot of sence. Please remember that you can only keep the ground a maximum of 5 years,

Yes Shabz makes good sense.
I haven't read all of the leases but the ones I have are initially for 9 months and then extendable by a year at a time at the sole discretion of FC, for up to 5 years. Public Procurement rules then dictate that they are re-advertised but there is nothing to stop the winner bidding again.

I would guess that the annual renewable will be a formality if the winning bidder does the job they are asked in a satisfactory manner.

Yes Shabz makes good sense.
I haven't read all of the leases but the ones I have are initially for 9 months and then extendable by a year at a time at the sole discretion of FC, for up to 5 years. Public Procurement rules then dictate that they are re-advertised but there is nothing to stop the winner bidding again.

I would guess that the annual renewable will be a formality if the winning bidder does the job they are asked in a satisfactory manner.

This is how most FC tenders work, nothing stopping you bidding again, we have just won two frameworks for the second time. If the quality is there they are happy to extend up to the 5 year limit. (its 4 years on our frameworks).

The Lynx release hasn't been confirmed - this is simply an announcement of the "preferred location" by the Lynx trust.

There is a whole flod of water to go under the bridge yet - SNH licences and Landowners (FC) permission being amongst them.

Back