Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travelling to Namibia with SAA via Johannesburg.

Travelling to Namibia with SAA via Johannesburg.

As per the thread title I will be travelling to Namibia with South African Airways via Johannesburg later this year with a firearm.
    Has anyone else done this and if so what was the experience like?
    How was Heathrow booking in procedure?
    Any issues transiting through South Africa?
    Do you need to check your rifle into and then back out of SA when passing through even if you checked it through to Windhoek?
    Can anyone provide a list of actual forms and paperwork I will need instead of trying to decipher airport and airline websites?
    As this will be my first time I will welcome any advice and suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

Hi Adrian
    No problem in Heathrow as they are used to firearms. Ammo needs to be in separate locked box from firearm. The rifle and ammo are sent direct to Windhoek so no need to check them in Joburg going or coming back. Take a look on my website for the form required and the procedure. Hunting Safaris | Big Game Hunting | Safari Hunter

Kind Regards
    Adrian
    UK Agent for Settlers Safaris
    Grahamstown, South Africa
    Etosha Conservancy, Namibia
    Hunting Safaris | Big Game Hunting | Safari Hunter
    Home

Just returned from Namibia. SAA no problem at Heathrow. Just double check that all your guns, bags etc. get checked straight through to Windhoek. When you get to Joberg go through international connections. When you get to Windhoek there is just one sheet of paper A4 with about 6 questions. The guy there will check your firearms and away you go. The whole process takes about 2 minutes. Much better than Going to S.A. with the reems of paperwork and useless staff.
    I will probably never go back to S.A.
    Good luck mate,who are you hunting with? and what is on the menu? You will be gobsmacked at the amount of animals you will see just on the roadside.
    Tusker

Cheers Gents, much appreciated.

Adrian, your site is great. It provides the information I was looking for and none of the jargon. Many thanks for the link.

Tusker, thank you. I will be hunting with Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris.
    I hunted there last year for a week and then did a self drive around the country for another week and have been yearning to return ever since I left.
    I'm going there for some culling and the odd trophy if the chance presents itself.
    I took a Kudu (gold), Hartmann's Zebra, Gemsbock (silver), Red Hartebeest (gold and field game medal) and Jackal on my previous trip and learnt very quickly to discard any preconceived ideas of what I wanted to hunt, relax and take whatever opportunity came along which made the trip so enjoyable.

Really looking forward to returning.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Well done mate, you obviously know Namibia well. I have hunted S.A. twice and now I have been to Namibia I cant think why I would go back there (S.A.) We couldn't believe the amount of wild life there. One day we bumped into a small herd of Hartebeest and the guy said blimmy didn't know they were there.you just never know what willturn up next.
    Tusker

I'm far from being knowledgeable on it but learning while you're there is as much fun as hunting, like you say, you never know what's going to appear next or what the day will bring you.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Adrian you're welcome mate, thanks for the comments.

cheers
    Adrian
    UK Agent for Settlers Safaris
    Grahamstown, South Africa
    Etosha Conservancy, Namibia
    Hunting Safaris | Big Game Hunting | Safari Hunter
    Home

As above and get to Heathrow with plenty of time to transition through the formalities, take FAC and print out of your firearms confirmation

Quote Originally Posted by RickyC View Post
    As above and get to Heathrow with plenty of time to transition through the formalities, take FAC and print out of your firearms confirmation
    Thanks for your reply, just to be clear, what exactly are you meaning by firearms confirmation?

Also, reading through other threads, it's advised not to put the bolt from the rifle in with the ammunition. Should this be packed separately in the hold luggage?
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
    Thanks for your reply, just to be clear, what exactly are you meaning by firearms confirmation?

Also, reading through other threads, it's advised not to put the bolt from the rifle in with the ammunition. Should this be packed separately in the hold luggage?
    Keep the bolt with the rifle.
    Tusker