BSRC and moving-target shooting?

Dalua

I note that the BSRC shoots moving targets at 50m with .22LR and at 100m with centrefires.

In practice, does .22LR at 50m gives a fair approximation to the lead required with a cf at 100m, and is this perhaps why they do it like that?

Any thoughts welcome - particularly from those who have shot at these distances with such rifles.

Just spotted this - with subsonics at 50m my aim point is roughly the same - just below the eye.

But that’s with the boar on a slow run. Using supersonic .22 or putting the boar on a fast run changes things.

I suspect it’s done like this either because that’s how big the range is, or because international competitions are run at those distances.

Just spotted this - with subsonics at 50m my aim point is roughly the same - just below the eye.

But that’s with the boar on a slow run. Using supersonic .22 or putting the boar on a fast run changes things.

I suspect it’s done like this either because that’s how big the range is, or because international competitions are run at those distances.
Yes, you're right on the last point, ISSC rules specify the distances, target speeds etc for both disciplines.
In theory, subsonics aren't ideal because you need to aim at the jowel rather than the eye. Most people use standard velocity (supersonic) for slow runs aiming at or below the eye of the boar. For fast runs you normally need to aim at the snout even with HV ammunition. 1400fps is recommended but most HV ammunition isn't that fast. CCI Stingers are, but don't have a great reputation for accuracy. I know one renowned shooter who sees no need for an aiming mark at all for fast runs and aims at the area above the snout, with the sights set to aim at the eye on slow runs.

With standard .22 long rifle bullets on the fast run i aim at the edge of the target frame. Slow run just below the eye.

Back