Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White red hind?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

White red hind?

This hind was on its own and came over the crest of a hill towards us. The photo is heavily cropped, but what struck me was just how pale this hind is. It may have been a trick of the light, but she really looked as though she was white.

The stalker hasn't seen her before, but it will be interesting to see in September if he's caught sight of her again.

O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Probably been bleached by the unseasonal Highland sun, looks a bit pink Dom so it may be just a trick of the light. Time will tell, come the back end we will find out for sure, if she is it will make finding the herd on the hill easier .

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Nice photograph. I often wondered why the mountain hare species developed the white coat and not the deer, in the same habitat?

Where ? there are a few white and piebald Red deer in west Perthshire, have shot a piebald hind, and also seen a few others , had stag on my ground some years back which had a completely white head,

There was I believes pure white stag in Glen Artney at one time, the gene appears from time to time around this area , I should add they are white not albinos.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Where ? there are a few white and piebald Red deer in west Perthshire, have shot a piebald hind, and also seen a few others , had stag on my ground some years back which had a completely white head,

There was I believes pure white stag in Glen Artney at one time, the gene appears from time to time around this area , I should add they are white not albinos.
    Sorry, should have said - Sutherland.

Could be she is ancient or just late in changing coat, i was out on an estate in sutherland 2 weeks ago and saw hinds that looked similar, all the stags i saw were in full summer coat.

Quote Originally Posted by wallace grant View Post
    Could be she is ancient or just late in changing coat, i was out on an estate in sutherland 2 weeks ago and saw hinds that looked similar, all the stags i saw were in full summer coat.
    Indeed - she might well just be old. The roe were also still shedding the vestiges of their winter coats, so it could also be that.

She was too far away to verify, but it was her whiteness, and the fact that she was apparently on her own, that attracted my attention. We'll see if she turns up again in the next month or so.

There are captive white Reds, presumably the odd one escapes?

Could be a white one. As Bogtrotter said, there are some piebald ones in Perthshire. I've shot a few white faced ones, strange looking things with generally pink noses and clear hooves, same colour as human finger nails. The stags never seem to grow to any great size, possibly due to genetics. We believe that they are throwbacks to deer that came from a park near Comrie, not too far from Glen Artney. There was a very pale hind a few years ago, but it disappeared and never got a chance of a closer look at her.

The partially white red deer in Perthshire are certainly well known, then. I saw a dead calf many years ago in Glen Almond with white lower legs. White faced hinds were seen most years. They were never shot on the estate I frequented, but had been in years gone by. I was told they were descendants of a few all white beasts which had been around in the 1800s.